Song suggestions needed for a celebratory memorial service.

  • Neal
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
      I need a couple of song suggestions for a memorial service for a
      beloved fellow barbershop singer.

      Something that celebrates the recollection of a man whose life was
      filled with accomplishment, friendships and music.

      I'm thinking sort-of along the line of "Good Night My Angel" the way it
      speaks of the love and music shared between people but that song frames
      it between a parent and child. The spirit is right and the beauty is
      right but the relationship is wrong.

      Danny Boy is somewhat cliche at this point although it is close in
      spirit but my friend was not a young soldier sent off to war.

      Any ideas? All appreciated.

      I don't know the barbershop catalogue well enough to think of one .

      Thanks

    • Dick Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
        What were a few of HIS favorite songs? His spirit will hear them.

        Dick Johnson
        Great Falls, MT

      • nlstarks@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
          For some, it might seem inappropriate, but our chorus sang "Spiritual Medley" for the service for one of our member's wife. This exuberant, expectant song was exactly what he wanted to celebrate his wife's life and her "homecoming.". It was very well received by those attending.
          Norm Starks

          Sent from my iPad
        • Robert Farnham
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
            We did a service for a 50+ year barbershopper in April and we sang "The Mariners Hymn" at the funeral home and at the Veterans Cemetery, we sang the "National Anthem".  We had his wife's service this week, there was a soloist from her church at the funeral home and at the grave where we buried her between her husband and her son, we sang "This Little Light of Mine/Do Lord" medley and "I Believe"
            The family was very appreciative.
            Hope this helps,
            Bob Farnham

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
              Along these same lines, we are doing the "Gospel Medley" as done by
              Bluegrass Student Union, Ed Waesche arrangement, this coming Tuesday for a
              funeral/memorial service. The words really are appropriate.

              We have also been asked to sing "Battle Hymn of the Republic," "The Lord's
              Prayer," "That's Life" (for one of our own members memorial service), "Irish
              Blessing" and "Let There Be Peace On Earth" just to name a few.

              Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

              John Elving

              VP Mus. & Perf.

              Editor-in-Cheap

              Shrine of Democracy Chorus

              Bass - SOUND ENGINEERING Quartet

              RMD VP - M&PR

              PROBE President

              Rapid City, SD
              <mailto:leadermanje@...> mailto:leadermanje@...
              605-381-9680

              Skype: john.elving

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
                Good Morning,

                Recently we sang for a departed chapter member at a Catholic Mass, we sang “You Raise Me UP” and got great remarks afterwards that a more appropriate song could not have been chosen.

                In Harmony,

                Dave Nicholson

              • Stephen Rafe
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
                  For military and other service personnel (police, fire fighters, et al.) I'd suggest "Mansions of the Lord" -- replacing "soldiers" with "heroes."

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEww_iXmAQs

                  If you have ever lost someone or know that feeling, have some tissues handy.
                  Our quartet (all veterans, two of whom are service-connected disabled) had to sing through it several times before we could get past the lumps in our throats.

                  BTW -- The Society has an excellent arrangement.

                  Stephen
                  STEPHEN RAFE

                • Roberta Smith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2012
                    Hi, Neal -
                    I've always enjoyed the very inspirational - I'll Never Pass This Way Again

                    The VM's Inspirational CD also included a rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone -
                    and I have seen published arrangements of You Raise Me Up.

                    Roberta
                    Roberta Smith
                    Harmony Celebration
                    SAI - Reg 15

                    We did a service for a 50+ year barbershopper in April and we sang "The Mariners
                    ymn" at the funeral home and at the Veterans Cemetery, we sang the "National
                    nthem". We had his wife's service this week, there was a soloist from her
                    hurch at the funeral home and at the grave where we buried her between her
                    usband and her son, we sang "This Little Light of Mine/Do Lord" medley and "I
                    elieve"
                    he family was very appreciative.
                    ope this helps,
                    From: Neal <nealsiegal@...>
                    ubject: [bbshop] Song suggestions needed for a celebratory memorial service.
                    o: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                    ate: Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:07 PM

                    I need a couple of song suggestions for a memorial service for a
                    beloved fellow barbershop singer.

                    Something that celebrates the recollection of a man whose life was
                    filled with accomplishment, friendships and music.

                    I'm thinking sort-of along the line of "Good Night My Angel" the way it
                    speaks of the love and music shared between people but that song frames
                    it between a parent and child. The spirit is right and the beauty is
                    right but the relationship is wrong.

                    Danny Boy is somewhat cliche at this point although it is close in
                    spirit but my friend was not a young soldier sent off to war.

                    Any ideas? All appreciated.

                    I don't know the barbershop catalogue well enough to think of one .

                    Thanks

                  • Knight, Ron
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2012
                      This reminds me of something else it might make sense to point out in this connection.

                      Our chorus had a song in our repertory and a long-time member who, every time we sang it, said "I want you to sing that at my funeral". In his latter days, his attendance became more and more infrequent, and when he finally passed away, we found out to our consternation that nobody could remember which song it was that he constantly reminded us he wanted sung at his funeral. We should have made a record when he was saying that several years before his death.

                      We did our best to send him away with good music from our chorus, but we'll never know whether we actually sang the song that he wanted or not.

                      Write it down!

                      Ron Knight

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                        The standard songs for such a service by the Arlington, Texas chapter are From The First Hello To The Last Goodbye, I Believe, and Irish Blessing. Hope this helps.

                        Joe Dymale
                        Arlington Goodtimes Chorus