Re: [bbshop] Re: If I started a chapter today (formerly BHS (SPEBSQSA))

  • Stucker, David L.
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 4, 2012
      Stephen,

      I would not recommend wholesale decertification. But I still believe that we, as a singing society, should concentrate on that reason for being and hold minimum standards associated with using the BHS name for both quartet and chorus in public performance. This is that same concept as obtaining any other professional license or certification. I can't tell you how many music professionals have been impressed when I play a library of our champions. I recognize that we can't all wear a gold medal but we should all strive to do the best with what God gave us and not to force ourselves on unsympathetic ears. Did I just hear a canon?

      Bottom line is we start with the bottom quartile of chapters and bring resources to bear to improve their musicality. Hopefully, like the case of AOH, it works and the rising tide will float all of our boats higher in the water. Alternatively, I know that there are chapters that do more harm to the art form than help (I live close to one). We have to be willing to cut losses after we have tried to help.

      I hope this clarifies my approach for musical improvement and longevity.

      Dave
      Sent from my BlackBerry wireless