Re: [bbshop] Re: If I started a chapter today (formerly BHS (SPEBSQSA))

  • Robert Dunn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3 4:26 PM
      Fellow Barbershoppers:

      Here is how I learn my part and how I allow others to do the same (Quartet and Chapter).

      I put my part on Finale.  I like the "String Quartet" sound, since it is legato, like the human voice.  I use a "Violin" for Lead and Tenor, a "Viola" for Bari and a "Cello" for Bass.  I tell my users to think of being in Church: You listen to the Organ for your notes and read the hymnal for the visuals.  I put all 4 parts on each of 4 bands on the CD, with a 5th band with all 4 parts together, so you can hear the chords.  I can either put the parts mono on each of the bands, or, I can put them in the Left Channel with the Right having the other 3 parts.  With headphones, you can isolate the Left and Right by moving the other earpiece from the ear you don't want to hear.  You can play the CD on a stereo, a portable CD player or in your car.  If, as Stephen Rafe says, you just learn the notes on a "doo-doo-doo" basis as you listen in your car, you can add the words later at home from a written page.  This isn't rocket science.  If I can do it,
      anybody can.

      As I said before, I play 5-string banjo in a bluegrass band.  I practice the banjo every (almost) day to keep my chops up.  To me, music is an addiction (especially since I gave up drinking, don't smoke, gamble, or do drugs).  Ya gotta wanta if you are going to get better.  I compare it to golf.  Go hit balls and pitch and putt if you want to get better.  Not so I can get into a Tournament, but so I can make the ball go where I want it to go so I can concentrate on my game.

      If you are too busy to do music, you are TOO BUSY.  Think of it as mental health.  Music is good for you.  Doctor Daniel Amen would agree (check out his website).  It is good for your brain.  Do it.

      In Love and Harmony,

      Bob Dunn
      Walnut Creek
      Baritone, Banjo Player