Re: [bbshop] Re: Sizzling Summer of Singing

  • Keith Eckhardt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2012
      The formal Sizzling Summer of Singing program put the kids in a side room for about an hour to work on music just for them while the chorus worked on repertoire. When the kids got a song working well they performed it for the chorus. They got a huge applause for their accomplishments.

      Then we had a common time working on new music for the chorus with the kids joining in.

      Finally we had a social time with great refreshments. One time we barbecued hot dogs and hamburgers.

      The kids were free to leave then or stay and sing with us. Some stayed, some left.

      One boy was a standout and he got a Teen Barbershopper of the Summer award. He then went for vocal coaching and became a professional singer.

      This year we simply invited all high school choir members to visit any time this summer to sing barbershop with us. We’ll adjust our evening program when any of them show up to be sure we include some tags and in singing the tags in quartets.

      Of course we’ll have great refreshments. We always have something home baked plus fruit or veggies and fresh ground coffee. We’re planning a multi-chapter event in August and we’ll have a dessert buffet then.

      Sing good, eat good, socialize. What could be better?

      Keith