Auditions for "The Music Man", Escondido, California

  • David
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2012
      To quartetters in the Greater San Diego area: Patio Playhouse of Escondido is auditioning for a production of "The Music Man". I agreed to be the "Second-Assistant Flunky to the Music Director", in charge of training the barbershop quartet, so I'm trying very hard to get real barbershoppers with quartet experience to audition.

      It would be great to get an organized quartet, but I'd be happy just to get four experienced quartetters. I can't be in it myself, because I'll be out of town during part of the play's run, but I'll be the primary quartet coach.

      Theater experience would be a plus, since you'll have lines that must be delivered with conviction, and you'll be in several scenes. You'll be playing the "school board", which gives us some flexibility age-wise, but we do need people who look like adults. It's in an outdoor amphitheater, so ya gotta be able to play it big, at least facially.

      This is very short notice (sorry!). Auditions start at 7:00 PM on Sunday and Monday, May 20 and 21, with callbacks on May 23.

      Please contact me (garsinger<at>yahoo<dot>com -- substitute the "@" and "." where appropriate) if at all interested. A brief summary of your quartet and other stage experience would be appreciated, and whether you're auditioning as a quartet. I don't have the final say as to whom they cast, but they were agreeable to casting experienced quartetters who also have basic theatrical acting skills.

      The performance dates are August 3-4, 9-11, 16-18, and 23-25.

      Please save me from having to try to teach four soloists how to ring barbershop chords!

      Dave Garstang