PAINLESS TEACHING

  • Stephen Rafe
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2012
      Hi Jamie,

      I think we agree.

      Society and chapter studies upon studies have found that the three major
      "barriers" boil down to one simple statement -- "not enough time." And
      ranking almost as high is: "can't read music." I think this tells us nearly
      everything we need to know about insisting that members they must learn
      their music at home. We can't "make" members do anything: We can only find
      out what they want, need, and expect -- and then help them get it. Some
      chapter profiles indicate a strong preference for affiliation; others a
      strong preference for achievement. And the achievement chapters often differ
      in whether they want to achieve through competition, or through vocal
      excellence (but not compete). One thing we do know for sure, though, is that
      all human beings -- even barbershoppers =) -- want to learn anything and
      everything as painlessly as possible.

      Stephen
      STEPHEN RAFE

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2012
        Hi Netters.

        I haven't posted anything in a good, long while.

        I've developed a course that I like to teach to barbershoppers that takes
        about 5 minutes every week. The idea is to put one little idea into their
        heads at a time. But there are three things that are the precursors of all
        else and I teach them in the first three weeks.

        1. Learn the popular key signatures by sight - because that tells where do
        is. I consider this the most important thing to reading music. If you
        don't know where the starting point is, then all else is pointless. I tell
        them we might sing in any key but normally we only start in one of nine keys
        - C (no sharps or flats) or 1 to 4 sharps, or 1 to 4 flats. So that is nine
        simple things to learn. I try to get them away from "figuring out" the key
        by the next to last flat or a half-tone higher than the last sharp. While
        this is useful, it is important that they can just look at a piece of music
        and instantly know what key it's in.
        2. Find do on the musical page. This links the sound of do to the graphical
        image of it. This leads, of course, to a simple discussion of the musical
        staff, treble clef, bass clef, and the lot.
        3. Find your starting note as an interval away from do.

        If you can do just these three things, you can start to read music. While
        there's still a lot to learn, you can now start getting something out of the
        music.

        Jeremy Reynolds