Re: [bbshop] What is the most fun or most memorable chapter meeting you have ever had?

  • Keith Mc
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
      Doug Johnson <bandit7577@[...]> wrote:
      > I would like to know what is the best, most memorable, or most fun you
      > have ever had at a chapter meeting. Not a convention, not a quartet rehearsal
      > or performance, not a chorus show or performance, this all about the chapter
      > meeting and what makes it memorable for YOU.
      > Anecdotes, funny moments, pratfalls, or just something that makes you smile,
      > anything like that that sticks in your memory about your chapter.
      > After reading a couple of PRESERVATION magazines, I am in the mood to just
      > see some good old fashioned stories about barbershop chapters, and, from
      > my experience here, there are plenty of good storytellers with many MANY stories.

      Two times come immediately to mind, both from the late 1970's - early 1980's...

      1) A visit to our chapter from a SPEBSQSA representative - in this case
      Dave Stevens came through, with his "What Are We Trying To Preserve" roadshow.
      We had a blast, learned a lot of craft, and got a better understanding
      of what we were all there to do.
      ... http://www.barbershop.org/news-a-events-main/378-dave-stevens-qwhat-are-we-trying-to-preserveq.html

      2) A "Joint Chapter Meet"

      A number of SE Michigan chapters all met on the same night (for us, a Tuesday).
      So, it was pretty straight forward to get all of the area Program VPs together.

      They arranged for a fun road trip to a central location in the middle of
      the summer. All the chapters chipped in for a hall rental, which made
      it relatively inexpensive. The meet included a minor Pot Luck and
      refreshments, so we could leave earlier (skipping dinner) to hang out
      together for a number of hours together munching and singing.
      As we came in van pools or buses, we could rest up on the way back
      to our home town, and still be OK to drive ourselves home.

      Holy cow, we all had a GREAT time...
      - We all sang together (mostly polecats, and a few other "common
      repertoire songs" of the day, like "Caroline") in a mass chorus.
      That little taste of being in a four times larger "super chorus" helped
      give us motivation to work toward increasing the size of our individual
      chapter choruses later.
      - We swapped tags.
      - We did woodshedding.
      - We even held an impromptu Pickup Quartet Contest - which required
      every quartet to both come up with a funny name, AND consist of
      people from at LEAST two of the chapters present.
      (Bonus "points" awarded, if they included all chapters present... :-)
      Homemade "prizes" were included.
      - After the program, we ended up singing in VLQs and quartets
      all over the place, until close to midnight.

      Not only did we all have a wonderful time, mingling with other
      regional chapters was a great way to find "commute distance
      voices", to form quartets! I believe a number of inter-chapter
      quartets formed, as a result of just that one Joint Meeting.

      - Keith "What part do you need?" McClary
      --
      "I'd like to teach... the world to sing... in four part harmony..."
    • aclassapartbari
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
        What a treasure the society had in Dave Stephens! I happened to be fortunate enough to be at Harmony College (as it was called then) when Dave delivered that performance that was (luckily) recorded for posterity.
        He was an amazing guy, and probably could have made a ton of money doing other things, but barbershop harmony was his mission in life, and we are all the better to have known him.

        Joint chapter meeting are a wonderful experience as well. I've enjoyed many over the years. In fact, AVP is hosting one on March 19th for all the Atlanta area chapters. We'd love to have a great turnout. It's such a great time when barbershoppers aren't competing with each other and are just enjoying celebrating our hobby as one united group.
        Rick Word
        Atlanta Vocal Project

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Keith Mc <acti@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > - We swapped tags.
        > - We did woodshedding.
        > - We even held an impromptu Pickup Quartet Contest - which required
        > every quartet to both come up with a funny name, AND consist of
        > people from at LEAST two of the chapters present.
        > (Bonus "points" awarded, if they included all chapters present... :-)
        > Homemade "prizes" were included.
        > - After the program, we ended up singing in VLQs and quartets
        > all over the place, until close to midnight.
        >
        > Not only did we all have a wonderful time, mingling with other
        > regional chapters was a great way to find "commute distance
        > voices", to form quartets! I believe a number of inter-chapter
        > quartets formed, as a result of just that one Joint Meeting.
        >
        > - Keith "What part do you need?" McClary
        > --
        > "I'd like to teach... the world to sing... in four part harmony..."

      • Shelley Herman
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
          I was at one of Dave's presentations at Harmony College and also had the
          opportunity to visit the Berkley chapter when he was directing. To the best
          of my knowledge they were the only chorus that won wearing shorts!

          Dave is missed, and unfortunately his message is being dismissed these days
          as the society drifts further away from the core of what he has to say. I
          do still have a DVD of that presentation and will play it as often as is
          possible to whoever will listen.

          Shelley Herman
          saherman@...

          > From: aclassapartbari <rickword@...>
          > Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 00:12:44 -0000
          > To: <bbshop@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [bbshop] Re: What is the most fun or most memorable chapter meeting
          > you have ever had?
          >
          > What a treasure the society had in Dave Stephens! I happened to be fortunate
          > enough to be at Harmony College (as it was called then) when Dave delivered
          > that performance that was (luckily) recorded for posterity.
        • Keith Eckhardt
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
            I played that DVD for my family (all musically inclined adults these days) and they loved it and thanked me for helping them to better understand barbershop.

            It is a very playful video that anyone with any musical background will enjoy.

            Keith Eckhardt