Re: [bbshop] Re: Chapters who don't compete

  • Mark Schuldenfrei
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 23, 2012
      Stephen Rafe wrote:
      > My point was not at all about the validity and value of Frank Thorne
      > membership: In fact, it was about the consequences to the Society of
      > non-membership of any kind where only one person would join the Society as
      > a FT member solely for the purpose of gaining free access to all the
      > Society's wares and then turn it all over to a non-dues paying group.

      1. Is this a real problem, really happening? How prevalent is it?

      2. Can you discuss the financial from two different perspectives:
      A. The incremental cost to the BHS for that use of materials.
      B. The theoretical loss

      3. Can you make some attempt to discuss potential upsides to such
      a situation, in terms of future recruitment, future support
      or future membership?

      4. How could this problem be stopped? What would the difficulties
      and downsides be for each potential solution?

      Mark Schuldenfrei
    • Stephen Rafe
      Message 51 of 51 , Apr 12, 2012
        Hi All --

        I wish to publicly thank Jeremey Johnson for the beautiful sensitivity with which he musically captured the total emotions of my poem, "I Never Can Say Goodbye." I have read it at the memorial services for my youngest and oldest sons and since then it has been read at other memorial services including one of the 9-11 services in New York City this past year. The barbershopper who read it responded concerning his own emotions and the audience's reactions when reading it: "Well I barely got through your poem, 'I Never Can say Goodbye.' It blew everyone away and set them up for the rest of the memorial service."

        Jeremey's music and arrangement for this piece for barbershop will certainly stir the deepest feelings in all who hear it. You may want to include it for all types of memorial occasions including Memorial Day, Flag Day, and Veteran's Day as well as for all other events where a life is being remembered. The entire song can heard in full mix at
        http://highnotepublishing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=136

        If that long link doesn't work for you, please try this shorter one
        http://tinyurl.com/772jjaq

        Simon Rylander has produced the learning tracks and they are awesome. They are available at his website:
        http://www.sunshinetracks.com/learning_tracks.htm

        With appreciation --

        Stephen
        STEPHEN RAFE