RE: [bbshop] Re: I need your help - music for high school chorus

  • Marty Israel
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi netters! To everyone that responded, thank you so much! We found exactly what we needed!!! Canto ergo sum Marty IsraelLong live the 7th

    • David Wallace
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
        I have what is apparently an odd opinion on this "controversy".

        None of us today has a clue as to the "right" way to sing the tune. The reason Whitney Houston's version was so well received was that it was respectful and well-done within her style, even though she altered the meter from 3/4 to 4/4 -- which is a pretty significant change!

        I personally found Steven Tyler's version totally inoffensive because, although his voice is definitely "rocker" he sang the notes 99% as expected with one exception. The deviation was when he swiped to the high tonic on "free" -- just as Houston did -- but with his trademark rocker scream. He made a few minor errors, but I don't freak out when minor performance errors creep into performances.

        The original intent was certainly not to have a vocal jazz version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZe8aB7plU), or pop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfpKGi3SJr0), or marching band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbXOupbPHOs) or ... I'm certain that each of you has an example of a performance you loved which does not fit into the box that is apparently "correct".

        The disrespect shown by Roseann Barr turns my stomach, but I don't mind at all watching artists of different styles try it - in a respectful way.

        BTW: I didn't enjoy Steven Tyler's version. ...but I definitely wasn't offended.

        David Wallace

        “Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato
      • plcmat
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
          I don't find David Wallace's opinion odd at all. The National Anthem belongs to all of us and we are all free to interpret however we choose.

          I'd also like to see it presented outside of a military context just once. No color guard, no guns, no jets. Nothing against the military but the flag belongs to all of us. I'm sure there must be plenty of great Americans that could present the flag as an alternative.

          Steve Nester
          Sounds of Concord
          2011 NED Chorus Champs
        • David Wallace
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
            Here's my pet peeve regarding our National Anthem: when presented as a song
            to "sing-along" it needs to be in the right key! B-flat puts our altos and
            basses on a high F, and most amateurs can't handle it. F sends the tenors
            and sopranos down to low F, and that's not good, either. Amateur singers can
            typically handle all the notes if pitched in A-flat, or maybe G - a little
            high for some, a little low for others, but reachable by virtually everyone.
            G is a bit low for high voices, but being fuzzy on the low notes is far less
            bothersome than straining for the high ones.

            Don't the professionals leading the singing have an awareness of this?

            When done as a solo, it should be pitched for the soloist - but don't expect
            folks to sing-along.

            David

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
              David,
              As a soloist I “sing to feel” and always find the highest notes in the song which are “Red Glare”
              and “Free” at the end of the song.
              Then I adjust the song to where it works for me on that time of day!

              I think it usually around G, that I sing it in and it sounds like people are singing along and I have
              never been told it was too High or Low.

              I love singing the Anthem with a quartet, But it is so nice (Especially early morning) to be
              able to adjust to how the voice feels rather than having the pitch pipe decide how high it will be!

              By the way, I love it when people sing along!
              That way they can’t be so critical of my occasional flaws!
              Just saying, LOL
              Sing it right or not at all!
              AL

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                Beat this one…

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6XWStZV48 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6XWStZV48&feature=related> &feature=related

                David

                “Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

              • Paul Girard
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                  Interesting arrangement with men only until the high part.
                  Helps to have voices that can cover both octaves.
                  Paul