Re: [HC] Opinions from all sides

  • Elizabeth Cluett
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2 3:02 PM
      My former quartet, Sweet Crystals sang both Canadian and US National Anthems at Watkins Glen International for SCCA Club Races several times. The reason for both was that there were Canadian racers participating as well as US racers.  We received so many comments that it was so nice to hear the anthems sung correctly.

      The Crystal Chords Chorus has sung both anthems at the race track as well for the Vintage races.

      Wish I were close enough to do it again but North Carolina is too far away.

      Tenor-ly,
      Betty

      Betty Cluett

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2 6:23 PM
        I definitely agree! Those singing the National Anthem at events like this should never forget that it is NOT about them! Maybe they should have to audition to make sure they present it in the style and manner for which it was written. It does not need to be tackied up.

        KAY To see a world in a grain of sand And a heaven in a wildflower: Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour. William Blake

        To: nkfraf@...; bbshop@yahoogroups.com
        CC: harmonyconnection@yahoogroups.com
        From: Qrtetbabe@...
        Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 21:17:11 -0500

        AMEN!

        Barb Kahn

        "Singing Makes Me Happy"

        Just received some comments on the Superbowl NA fiasco. Thought you might be interested in seeing how people from my high school (probably not barbershoppers) felt about what they heard on Super Bowl Sunday. Obviously there are some musicians among the comments made!

        National Anthem at the Super Bowl - an editorial

        Had to forward. How true this statement is, trust you agree.

        Since the Super Bowl is in a couple of weeks, thought this was appropriate!

        Don�t know who wrote this, but I totally agree. I wish some of these

        pop star divas would read this and take it to heart.

        Our sentiments EXACTLY� AMEN!

        �So, with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked

        to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations

[...]

      • Jack W. Martin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2 8:50 PM
          Ya got my vote gals! Nothing irks me more than for someone to screw
          up our patriotic songs such as the National Anthem. God Bless America,
          America the Beautiful etc. Could it be, they are just not talented
          enough? Hummmmmm!
          In Harmony
          Jack

          On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Kay Bedingfield <kelenayb@...> wrote:

          > I definitely agree! Those singing the National Anthem at events like this should never forget that it is NOT about them! Maybe they should have to audition to make sure they present it in the style and manner for which it was written. It does not need to be tackied up.
          >

          > KAY To see a world in a grain of sand And a heaven in a wildflower: Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour. William Blake
          >
          > To: nkfraf@...; bbshop@yahoogroups.com
          > CC: harmonyconnection@yahoogroups.com
          > From: Qrtetbabe@...
          > Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 21:17:11 -0500
          > Subject: Re: [HC] Opinions from all sides

          >      AMEN!
          >

          >  Barb Kahn
          >

          > "Singing Makes Me Happy"

        • tom campbell
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3 7:52 AM
            *Here's a memory for some of you. When I was a kid growing up in the 50's
            and 60's, no guest star was given a microphone to sing the National Anthem.
            We sang it. The band or organist played the song and whole crowd,
            spectators, even the teams, sang the anthem. That was a stirring
            experience, standing next to everyone with our hands over our hearts
            singing together as one. Now of course it's merely a chore, having to stand
            up and listen to someone else sing it. I wonder if that will ever happen
            again in our lifetimes, our being allowed to sing our anthem?

            - Tom Campbell

            p.s. I did see it happen once several years ago. It even got some nation
            attention. At a Blazers game, the 13 year old phenom forgot the words. Head
            coach Maurice Lucas quickly went over to the embarrassed** little** girl
            and started singing it with her and then so did the whole 20,000 in
            attendance. That was way cool.
            *

          • Mary Ann Wert
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3 5:08 PM
              Now I'm a HUGE barbershop fan (have been for 26 years)... but THIS is my very favorite rendition of the SSB. It is heartfelt, patriotic and very moving in my opinion. AND the harmonies are amazing!! I cannot listen to it without tissue in hand.... Kudos to the GVB on this one! Beautiful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2-vGiiVfY&feature=related
              Mary Ann Wert
              Co-Director, Northern Blend ~ 2010 International Chorus Champions of Harmony, Inc.
              Baritone, For Heaven's Sake ~ 1996 International Quartet Champions of Harmony, Inc.
              Baritone, Stardust ~ 2011 International 4th Place Medalist Quartet
            • Kay Bedingfield
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3 5:13 PM
                OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was beautiful!!!!

                To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com; harmonyconnection@yahoogroups.com
                From: mawert1@...
                Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 20:08:45 -0500

                To: nkfraf@...; bbshop@yahoogroups.com