Re: [bbshop] Opinions from all sides

  • Alan St.Louis
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
      Nancy,

      Very good article!

      I am in the midst of trying to set a world record for the Most National Anthem Performances in a 12 month period and I really couldn't agree more!

      I am singing it because I have been sickened by the SUPER STAR PERFORMERS that have butchered the song and I am trying to prove that more people appreciate the right notes and in tune singing over the out of tune over embellishment arrangements that have been performed lately!

      Scotty McCreery, Trace Adkins, and most recently Steven Tyler have all been bad performances either with the performance being out of tune or singing wrong words!

      I personally like all those singers listed but they were not good performers of the Anthem!

      The place I really notice the pride in the performance is with the very young who don't know better and haven't been exposed to the destruction of the Anthem yet.

      I sang for a middle school basketball game last week and the kids were awesome, They respect the Anthem and what it stands for and aren't afraid to show their PRIDE!

      I also see it in the very old and the veterans who appreciate the song being sung the way it was written with the pride that they feel.
      I continue to sing at UNH and the Veterans and Alumni always thank me for singing it the way it is suppose to be sung.

      I have done 63 Performances since July of 2011 and have done EVERY Performance exactly the same way! (Another 30 scheduled!!!!!!!!!!)

      I am hoping that Kelly Clarkson sings the song correctly and she makes us proud of the song again as we need to be consistent with the meaning of the song.

      I am not saying my performances are perfect but I do sing in Tune, Correct notes and most importantly the Correct words!

      Sing it right or not at all!

      AL St.Louis

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
        Bravo!

      • markrusch@tampabay.rr.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
          Hi Marty,

          Go to JWPepper.com Click on “school choral music”, then type in the title in the upper left corner of that page. There are several arrangements available.

          Mark Rusch

        • Marty Israel
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
            Hi netters! To everyone that responded, thank you so much! We found exactly what we needed!!! Canto ergo sum Marty IsraelLong live the 7th

          • David Wallace
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
              I have what is apparently an odd opinion on this "controversy".

              None of us today has a clue as to the "right" way to sing the tune. The reason Whitney Houston's version was so well received was that it was respectful and well-done within her style, even though she altered the meter from 3/4 to 4/4 -- which is a pretty significant change!

              I personally found Steven Tyler's version totally inoffensive because, although his voice is definitely "rocker" he sang the notes 99% as expected with one exception. The deviation was when he swiped to the high tonic on "free" -- just as Houston did -- but with his trademark rocker scream. He made a few minor errors, but I don't freak out when minor performance errors creep into performances.

              The original intent was certainly not to have a vocal jazz version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZe8aB7plU), or pop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfpKGi3SJr0), or marching band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbXOupbPHOs) or ... I'm certain that each of you has an example of a performance you loved which does not fit into the box that is apparently "correct".

              The disrespect shown by Roseann Barr turns my stomach, but I don't mind at all watching artists of different styles try it - in a respectful way.

              BTW: I didn't enjoy Steven Tyler's version. ...but I definitely wasn't offended.

              David Wallace

              “Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato
            • plcmat
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                I don't find David Wallace's opinion odd at all. The National Anthem belongs to all of us and we are all free to interpret however we choose.

                I'd also like to see it presented outside of a military context just once. No color guard, no guns, no jets. Nothing against the military but the flag belongs to all of us. I'm sure there must be plenty of great Americans that could present the flag as an alternative.

                Steve Nester
                Sounds of Concord
                2011 NED Chorus Champs
              • David Wallace
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                  Here's my pet peeve regarding our National Anthem: when presented as a song
                  to "sing-along" it needs to be in the right key! B-flat puts our altos and
                  basses on a high F, and most amateurs can't handle it. F sends the tenors
                  and sopranos down to low F, and that's not good, either. Amateur singers can
                  typically handle all the notes if pitched in A-flat, or maybe G - a little
                  high for some, a little low for others, but reachable by virtually everyone.
                  G is a bit low for high voices, but being fuzzy on the low notes is far less
                  bothersome than straining for the high ones.

                  Don't the professionals leading the singing have an awareness of this?

                  When done as a solo, it should be pitched for the soloist - but don't expect
                  folks to sing-along.

                  David

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                    David,
                    As a soloist I “sing to feel” and always find the highest notes in the song which are “Red Glare”
                    and “Free” at the end of the song.
                    Then I adjust the song to where it works for me on that time of day!

                    I think it usually around G, that I sing it in and it sounds like people are singing along and I have
                    never been told it was too High or Low.

                    I love singing the Anthem with a quartet, But it is so nice (Especially early morning) to be
                    able to adjust to how the voice feels rather than having the pitch pipe decide how high it will be!

                    By the way, I love it when people sing along!
                    That way they can’t be so critical of my occasional flaws!
                    Just saying, LOL
                    Sing it right or not at all!
                    AL

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                      Beat this one…

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6XWStZV48 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6XWStZV48&feature=related> &feature=related

                      David

                      “Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

                    • Paul Girard
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                        Interesting arrangement with men only until the high part.
                        Helps to have voices that can cover both octaves.
                        Paul