Opinions from all sides

  • Nancy K. Foris
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
      Barbershoppers --
      Just received some comments on the Superbowl NA fiasco. Thought you
      might be interested in seeing how people from my high school (probably
      not barbershoppers) felt about what _they_ heard on Super Bowl Sunday.
      Obviously there are some musicians among the comments made!
      National Anthem at the Super Bowl - an editorial

      Had to forward. How true this statement is, trust you agree.

      Since the Super Bowl is in a couple of weeks, thought this was appropriate!

      */Don't know who wrote this, but I totally agree. I wish some of these /*

      */pop star divas would read this and take it to heart./*

      *//**/Our sentiments EXACTLY... AMEN!/***

      "So, with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice
      to the next pop star who is asked

      to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: save the vocal
      gymnastics and the physical gyrations

      for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing
      it in kindergarten --- straight up,

      no styling. Sing it with the constant awareness that there are Soldiers,
      Sailors, Airmen and

      Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't
      make them cringe with your

      self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a
      row of 86-year-old WWII

      vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their
      cardigans and you want them to

      be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love --- not
      because you want them to think

      you are a superstar musician. They could see that from the costumes, the
      makeup and

      the entourages. Sing "The Star Spangled Banner" with the courtesy and
      humility that tells the

      audience that it is about America , not you."

      If you agree, please pass this on. The entertainers need to
      get the message!

    • Bill Byrd
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
        Thanks for sharing,
        Bill Byrd

        On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Nancy K. Foris <nkfraf@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Barbershoppers --
        > Just received some comments on the Superbowl NA fiasco. Thought you
        > might be interested in seeing how people from my high school (probably
        > not barbershoppers) felt about what _they_ heard on Super Bowl Sunday.
        > Obviously there are some musicians among the comments made!
        > National Anthem at the Super Bowl - an editorial
        >
        > Had to forward. How true this statement is, trust you agree.
        >
        > Since the Super Bowl is in a couple of weeks, thought this was appropriate!
        >
        > */Don't know who wrote this, but I totally agree. I wish some of these /*
        >
        > */pop star divas would read this and take it to heart./*
        >
        > *//**/Our sentiments EXACTLY... AMEN!/***
        >
        > "So, with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice
        > to the next pop star who is asked
        >
        > to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: save the vocal
        > gymnastics and the physical gyrations
        >
        > for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing
        > it in kindergarten --- straight up,
        >
        > no styling. Sing it with the constant awareness that there are Soldiers,
        > Sailors, Airmen and
        >
        > Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't
        > make them cringe with your
        >
        > self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a
        > row of 86-year-old WWII
        >
        > vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their
        > cardigans and you want them to
        >
        > be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love --- not
        > because you want them to think
        >
        > you are a superstar musician. They could see that from the costumes, the
        > makeup and
        >
        > the entourages. Sing "The Star Spangled Banner" with the courtesy and
        > humility that tells the
        >
        > audience that it is about America , not you."
        >
        > If you agree, please pass this on. The entertainers need to
        > get the message!

      • Alan St.Louis
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
          Nancy,

          Very good article!

          I am in the midst of trying to set a world record for the Most National Anthem Performances in a 12 month period and I really couldn't agree more!

          I am singing it because I have been sickened by the SUPER STAR PERFORMERS that have butchered the song and I am trying to prove that more people appreciate the right notes and in tune singing over the out of tune over embellishment arrangements that have been performed lately!

          Scotty McCreery, Trace Adkins, and most recently Steven Tyler have all been bad performances either with the performance being out of tune or singing wrong words!

          I personally like all those singers listed but they were not good performers of the Anthem!

          The place I really notice the pride in the performance is with the very young who don't know better and haven't been exposed to the destruction of the Anthem yet.

          I sang for a middle school basketball game last week and the kids were awesome, They respect the Anthem and what it stands for and aren't afraid to show their PRIDE!

          I also see it in the very old and the veterans who appreciate the song being sung the way it was written with the pride that they feel.
          I continue to sing at UNH and the Veterans and Alumni always thank me for singing it the way it is suppose to be sung.

          I have done 63 Performances since July of 2011 and have done EVERY Performance exactly the same way! (Another 30 scheduled!!!!!!!!!!)

          I am hoping that Kelly Clarkson sings the song correctly and she makes us proud of the song again as we need to be consistent with the meaning of the song.

          I am not saying my performances are perfect but I do sing in Tune, Correct notes and most importantly the Correct words!

          Sing it right or not at all!

          AL St.Louis

          Just received some comments on the Superbowl NA fiasco. Thought you
          might be interested in seeing how people from my high school (probably not barbershoppers) felt about what _they_ heard on Super Bowl Sunday.

        • Marty Israel
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
            Hi Netters,

            Can anyone direct me towards a high school vocal arrangement (not barbershop) of Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Sofly With His Song"?

            A website would be wonderful. Any info, though, would help.

            Thanks so much!!!

            Canto ergo sum

            Marty Israel
            Long live the 7th

          • ThomasE
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
              Bravo!

            • markrusch@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
                Hi Marty,

                Go to JWPepper.com Click on “school choral music”, then type in the title in the upper left corner of that page. There are several arrangements available.

                Mark Rusch

              • Marty Israel
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
                  Hi netters! To everyone that responded, thank you so much! We found exactly what we needed!!! Canto ergo sum Marty IsraelLong live the 7th

                • David Wallace
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                    I have what is apparently an odd opinion on this "controversy".

                    None of us today has a clue as to the "right" way to sing the tune. The reason Whitney Houston's version was so well received was that it was respectful and well-done within her style, even though she altered the meter from 3/4 to 4/4 -- which is a pretty significant change!

                    I personally found Steven Tyler's version totally inoffensive because, although his voice is definitely "rocker" he sang the notes 99% as expected with one exception. The deviation was when he swiped to the high tonic on "free" -- just as Houston did -- but with his trademark rocker scream. He made a few minor errors, but I don't freak out when minor performance errors creep into performances.

                    The original intent was certainly not to have a vocal jazz version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZe8aB7plU), or pop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfpKGi3SJr0), or marching band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbXOupbPHOs) or ... I'm certain that each of you has an example of a performance you loved which does not fit into the box that is apparently "correct".

                    The disrespect shown by Roseann Barr turns my stomach, but I don't mind at all watching artists of different styles try it - in a respectful way.

                    BTW: I didn't enjoy Steven Tyler's version. ...but I definitely wasn't offended.

                    David Wallace

                    “Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato
                  • plcmat
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                      I don't find David Wallace's opinion odd at all. The National Anthem belongs to all of us and we are all free to interpret however we choose.

                      I'd also like to see it presented outside of a military context just once. No color guard, no guns, no jets. Nothing against the military but the flag belongs to all of us. I'm sure there must be plenty of great Americans that could present the flag as an alternative.

                      Steve Nester
                      Sounds of Concord
                      2011 NED Chorus Champs
                    • David Wallace
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                        Here's my pet peeve regarding our National Anthem: when presented as a song
                        to "sing-along" it needs to be in the right key! B-flat puts our altos and
                        basses on a high F, and most amateurs can't handle it. F sends the tenors
                        and sopranos down to low F, and that's not good, either. Amateur singers can
                        typically handle all the notes if pitched in A-flat, or maybe G - a little
                        high for some, a little low for others, but reachable by virtually everyone.
                        G is a bit low for high voices, but being fuzzy on the low notes is far less
                        bothersome than straining for the high ones.

                        Don't the professionals leading the singing have an awareness of this?

                        When done as a solo, it should be pitched for the soloist - but don't expect
                        folks to sing-along.

                        David

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                          David,
                          As a soloist I “sing to feel” and always find the highest notes in the song which are “Red Glare”
                          and “Free” at the end of the song.
                          Then I adjust the song to where it works for me on that time of day!

                          I think it usually around G, that I sing it in and it sounds like people are singing along and I have
                          never been told it was too High or Low.

                          I love singing the Anthem with a quartet, But it is so nice (Especially early morning) to be
                          able to adjust to how the voice feels rather than having the pitch pipe decide how high it will be!

                          By the way, I love it when people sing along!
                          That way they can’t be so critical of my occasional flaws!
                          Just saying, LOL
                          Sing it right or not at all!
                          AL

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                            Beat this one…

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6XWStZV48 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6XWStZV48&feature=related> &feature=related

                            David

                            “Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

                          • Paul Girard
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                              Interesting arrangement with men only until the high part.
                              Helps to have voices that can cover both octaves.
                              Paul