ERASURE TECHNIQUE

  • Stephen Rafe
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hi All --

      A few members have already requested details of the NeuroLinguistics technique I developed for "erasing" prior learning before replacing it with new learning. So, in this case, it's simple enough for me to post it here and save time for everyone.

      You can use it to replace words (either because they have been improperly learned or because you are teaching a parody). Once you're comfortable with tyhe technique at that level, you can also adapt it to replace a poorly learned musical phrase, and even to replace a tag. When teaching an entire parody, though, it would be too time-consuming to change one word at a time as is being done below. In such cases, you would want to teach phrases. And, you would want to teach the words without notes first as the "Painlessly" method advocates.

      For simple word changes:

      * Take one word at a time.
      * Have them say the word out loud as you visualize it being on a large screen. (Check them for feedback.)
      * Now have them say the word less loudly as you make the image of the word appear smaller and less clear. (Continue to check.)
      * Now have them "make" the word very soft as you make the image very small and very blurry. (Continue to check.)
      * Now, say to them: In your thoughts, take an eraser and wipe away the remainder of the word as follows:
      Start with the last letter of the word and erase that.
      Then do the same with the next to last letter.
      Continue on, erasing each letter one at a time, still in reverse, until the word is gone.
      * Next, tell them to visualize a neon sign in large bright colors.
      * Then say the following: When I say "three" flash the new word -- (word) -- on the neon sign in bright colors.
      One, two, three: (word). ((They may even say the word out loud.)
      * Next, take them through the phrase or sentence using the replacement word.
      First have them just say the words, not sing them.
      Then have them sing the words in unison.
      Finally have them sing the words in four-part harmony.
      * Encourage their self-reinforcement for having done well.
      * Move on to the next word to be replaced.

      This seems, to some people, to take too long -- a consequence of our fast-food society where people feel we must do everything "NOW" with as little effort expended as possible. The fact is, anything short of doing it right the first time is going to come back and bite you when the singers are under the stress of performing and, as a consequence, the brains of many of them causes them to shift back to the "old" learning.

      TIPS: When using this method -- and for teaching in general -- never tell singers what they did or are doing "wrong": Only tell them what they need to do to get it right. And, most of all, never demonstrate "bad" learning as a way to give them feedback. Doing so tends to "anchor" or lock in what you don't want them to do. When you feel you need to stop them in the midst of singing, they already know they did something "wrong" because the very act of stopping them serves -- behaviorally -- as a "punisher." So there is no need to mimic what they did. Just focus on fixing it positively.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Stephen
      STEPHEN RAFE