re:Simple Things you can do, to Market Your Hobby

  • Betty Matthews
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
      Keith Mc wrote:

      "Would your chapter pay the few cents royalty per copy for some basic
      sheet music to GIVE AWAY to guests for them to KEEP, so that even
      if they don't join NOW, they may look at it later, and come back?"

      This is how I got into barbershop, and I am still here 20 years later. My
      father-in-law sang barbershop in an unorganized fashion with friends when
      he was growing up in Oklahoma. He still had music at the house when i met
      him in his 50's. When we finished singing "after-dinner hymns" (a-cappella
      church roots), he would get out a barbershop song to try. It was REALLY
      fun! That made an impression. Later when I was looking for a hobby, I
      remembered that.

      Music with your info on it would be like a business card. But I think it
      would be more likely to hang around or be passed on to another.

      Suggestions for what would be good to give away? Simple, but ringy???? A
      whole song? A few tags?

      Betty Matthews, SAI #19

    • markrusch@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
        An interesting idea. But give away some of the “free” music on the BHS website. No royalties to pay.

        Mark Rusch

      • Keith Mc
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
          See below... I'm soliciting title suggestions for a PD based BBS songbook
          "compilation", for donating to the local libraries, to get your chapter's
          name and contact info out there... -Keith

          Mark Rusch wrote:
          > An interesting idea. But give away some of the free music on the BHS website.
          > No royalties to pay.

          Excellent point. Which ones would you recommend, these days?

          Bear in mind the chapter should also learn anything you push on a local
          library, so "old standards" like Wild Irish Rose, Coney Island Baby, or
          Music Man type stuff is really the best way to start. (Now... Which of
          those are FREE???) That way, when they DO show up, knowing something
          you "posted", YOU can sing with THEM. (Gee... It would be mighty
          embarrassing otherwise... :-)

          Betty Matthews wrote:
          > This is how I got into barbershop, and I am still here 20 years later. [..]
          > Music with your info on it would be like a business card. But I think it
          > would be more likely to hang around or be passed on to another.
          > Suggestions for what would be good to give away? Simple, but ringy????
          > A whole song? A few tags?

          We couldn't do Tag Books back then. Since most Tag Books of that era
          were "home brew checkbook-holder compilations", there was a ASCAP/BMI
          pogrom happening at the time to ban them due to clearance violations.
          I see we now have legit ones, but I'm not sure how good they'd be for
          a library donation program, nor what the clearance issues would be to
          give them away. Also, without a bit of "cultural explanation" about
          tag singing in general (eg a well written Preface), random people running
          across a Tag Book in the library may not quite understand the point of them.

          Therefore, I'm thinking some simple full PD songs would be the best way to
          start out. No royalty or copyright clearance hassles.

          At that time you had to buy SOMETHING (no freebies back then),
          so WE started with the actual white cover Barberpole Cat books.
          The Polecat books had several pluses going for them:
          1) They were VERY cheap at the time (IIRC, ~$1 each. They're more now),
          2) They already had covers (to which we only needed to add lamination), and
          3) They were all songs WE knew well.

          We also had the PoleCat Learning Program running then in the chapter,
          which guaranteed if someone showed up knowing a song from the
          book we gave out, we'd be covered! <GRIN>

          In fact, we printed up a badge (that fit a standard badgeholder)
          with the BPC logo and all songs listed, with four checkboxes by each song.
          You "color dot" checked off which song(s) and part(s) you knew.
          (In addition to the column, the dot color represented the part you knew.)
          BTW... It was quite a feat to check them ALL off. For an even bigger
          thrill, if you COULD sing more than one part you then started filling
          out the card in those parts, too. (A few of us had Full Cards. :-)
          Benefit: These badges allowed us to see at a GLANCE during breaks
          which Polecat songs a random gathering of people could sing as
          a pickup quartet or VLQ. VERY time efficient.

          But I see the Polecat books are a bit more today. ($4 each for
          members. Hmmm...) But even so, we're still only talking it costing
          a chapter $20 to outfit a school or a local library with a 5-set with them.
          ... http://www.harmonymarketplace.com/barberpolecat.html

          Now I like Mark's suggestion, of using the freebies. Yea, you'd
          have to bind them into "books". Maybe we could work out a deal with the
          local library, for binding? (Most libraries have book repair equipment.)

          So... Let's talk about creating the "ideal" custom bbs songbook for
          donating to your local library. (With your chapter's contact info, of course! :-)

          What songs would you all suggest to be in it?

          Remember, we should probably FIRST start out with royalty free
          (PD) arrangements, that most chapters would know. IMO it should
          also cover both men's and women's arrangements (sections), so
          the local chapters of ALL barbershop organizations can benefit from it.

          - Keith "What part do you need?" McClary
          --
          "Deja Due: The feeling you've paid that library fine before..."
        • markrusch@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
            For the society’s free music, go here: http://www.barbershop.org/document-center/category/19-free-music-for-printing.html

          • Jamie Bedford
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
              Auld Lang Syne is a good arr. with which non-barbershoppers will be
              familiar.
              Irish Blessing is lovely.
              Kentucky Babe is surprisingly fun to sing (though most young folk won't
              know who/what that is) ;)
              One More Song is another lovely tune.
              I Love You Truly could work.
              Down Mobile could work, too.
              I'm All Alone could also work.

              Those are the ones that I'm familiar with and which I think would be the
              best fits from that page, at least as things to send to schools... The only
              authority I can offer is that I'm a 28 year old, 12 year member ;)

              Libraries are perhaps a different matter (though I do think all of those
              will still work). But sending music to schools is targeting a different
              audience than to libraries, and I don't represent the library audience
              quite so well!

              Cheers,
              Jamie Bedford

              On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM, <markrusch@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > For the society�s free music, go here:
              > http://www.barbershop.org/document-center/category/19-free-music-for-printing.html

            • Jordan Truesdell
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
                If you're putting books in the library, it would be nice to include a
                (good) CD of the tracks in a back pocket. Again, royalty free would be
                best, and unfortunately good masters are expensive. A public domain work
                would be, theoretically, mechanical license free, but the arrangers would
                have to give their blessing or be paid mechanical fees. (Hey, BHS, how
                'bout working us a deal - you get the master rights, waive the arranger
                mech. and repro rights you own, and we print and burn at our expense?)

                Jordan