Simple Things you can do, to Market Your Hobby

  • Keith Mc
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2012
      (Moved from "Re: [bbshop] Re: Pentatonix at the LAAF ... AND More!")

      Bob McSwain <bmcswain@...> wrote:
      > So, Will, Would you have them on your show if you could? [...]
      > Would you invite the individuals to join your chapter?
      > Would you invite members of the first group voted off TSO?
      >
      > What I am working down to is: According to Deke Sharon, CASA Founder,
      > there is approximately 5,000 young adults leaving college each year that
      > have sung a cappella for 2-8 years. They have developed their singing
      > talents and ears. Most will have no place to sing as they are beginning
      > their work life.
      >
      > What is your chapter/chorus going to do to attract these talented people?

      That's an excellent question. I'll also ask:

      Has your chapter ever thought to post a flyer at your local college's
      music department bulletin boards, inviting them to come out, and/or
      offer them "free singing lessons"?

      Has your chapter ever thought to buy and donate Polecat books in
      sets of FIVE (one for a coach, too), stick their contact info into all of
      their covers, and GIVE them to not only your local public library,
      but also to every high school's library in your area?

      Would your chapter establish a policy to promote and provide barbershop
      arrangements for FREE to all singers (IOW on the chapter's dime) to
      ANY local school music department, program, or school, that wishes
      to have their singers try a barbershop number?

      Would your chapter pay the few cents royalty per copy for some basic
      sheet music to GIVE AWAY to guests for them to KEEP, so that even
      if they don't join NOW, they may look at it later, and come back?
      (Or, do you have jealously guarded Guest Books, that you rip out
      of their hands at the end of the night, so they have nothing to take home???)

      Have you bothered to list your chapter with your local public library
      reference desk's Local Organization Contacts lists?
      (Many libraries maintain a local organization index. Is your entry up
      to date, with current meeting dates/times, and contact data?)

      A chapter I started did all of this, under the "Preserve and Encourage" mandate.
      Over the years, it cost us almost NOTHING, yet we got quite a few new
      members, as well as increased awareness of our chapter in the community.
      Often a new person would show up YEARS after we did the donation,
      because they saw the Music Man, and when they looked up "Barbershop"
      at their local library found either our marked cover Polecat books
      with our contact data, or found our chapter in their local public library index.

      But I've RARELY found chapters taking those simple steps.
      In almost every chapter I've ever visited or been in (that I haven't
      been personally involved in either starting and operating)
      rarely do I see annual, dedicated recruitment drives.
      Any other organization I've been in has one or two annual "Recruitment
      Seasons", with specific activities everyone is involved in, and a dedicated
      person or committee who's sole purpose is Recruiting Drives.
      ...Yet, I rarely see it in this hobby. (So sad...)

      Speaking as one that has over a lifetime started several DOZEN clubs
      and special interest groups, on a wide variety of interests, you have
      to think like a Marketer, to wit:

      How can (and where should) you advertise, to reach your target audience?

      How can you take a TINY piece of your budget, and make LITTLE policy
      decisions (like the donated Polecat books, or an annual letter to the
      HS directors reminding them you'll pay for any BBS music they wish to try)
      so that, instead of being a Flash In The Pan (like a newspaper ad)
      your efforts can instead keep on working for you, year after year?

      If your chapter has other similar "simple but effective" methods to
      keep on recruiting, please tell us here. What has your chapter done?

      - Keith "What part do you need?" McClary
      --
      "Marketing - The difference between curdled milk, and cottage cheese..."
    • Betty Matthews
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
        Keith Mc wrote:

        "Would your chapter pay the few cents royalty per copy for some basic
        sheet music to GIVE AWAY to guests for them to KEEP, so that even
        if they don't join NOW, they may look at it later, and come back?"

        This is how I got into barbershop, and I am still here 20 years later. My
        father-in-law sang barbershop in an unorganized fashion with friends when
        he was growing up in Oklahoma. He still had music at the house when i met
        him in his 50's. When we finished singing "after-dinner hymns" (a-cappella
        church roots), he would get out a barbershop song to try. It was REALLY
        fun! That made an impression. Later when I was looking for a hobby, I
        remembered that.

        Music with your info on it would be like a business card. But I think it
        would be more likely to hang around or be passed on to another.

        Suggestions for what would be good to give away? Simple, but ringy???? A
        whole song? A few tags?

        Betty Matthews, SAI #19

      • markrusch@tampabay.rr.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
          An interesting idea. But give away some of the “free” music on the BHS website. No royalties to pay.

          Mark Rusch

        • Keith Mc
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
            See below... I'm soliciting title suggestions for a PD based BBS songbook
            "compilation", for donating to the local libraries, to get your chapter's
            name and contact info out there... -Keith

            Mark Rusch wrote:
            > An interesting idea. But give away some of the free music on the BHS website.
            > No royalties to pay.

            Excellent point. Which ones would you recommend, these days?

            Bear in mind the chapter should also learn anything you push on a local
            library, so "old standards" like Wild Irish Rose, Coney Island Baby, or
            Music Man type stuff is really the best way to start. (Now... Which of
            those are FREE???) That way, when they DO show up, knowing something
            you "posted", YOU can sing with THEM. (Gee... It would be mighty
            embarrassing otherwise... :-)

            Betty Matthews wrote:
            > This is how I got into barbershop, and I am still here 20 years later. [..]
            > Music with your info on it would be like a business card. But I think it
            > would be more likely to hang around or be passed on to another.
            > Suggestions for what would be good to give away? Simple, but ringy????
            > A whole song? A few tags?

            We couldn't do Tag Books back then. Since most Tag Books of that era
            were "home brew checkbook-holder compilations", there was a ASCAP/BMI
            pogrom happening at the time to ban them due to clearance violations.
            I see we now have legit ones, but I'm not sure how good they'd be for
            a library donation program, nor what the clearance issues would be to
            give them away. Also, without a bit of "cultural explanation" about
            tag singing in general (eg a well written Preface), random people running
            across a Tag Book in the library may not quite understand the point of them.

            Therefore, I'm thinking some simple full PD songs would be the best way to
            start out. No royalty or copyright clearance hassles.

            At that time you had to buy SOMETHING (no freebies back then),
            so WE started with the actual white cover Barberpole Cat books.
            The Polecat books had several pluses going for them:
            1) They were VERY cheap at the time (IIRC, ~$1 each. They're more now),
            2) They already had covers (to which we only needed to add lamination), and
            3) They were all songs WE knew well.

            We also had the PoleCat Learning Program running then in the chapter,
            which guaranteed if someone showed up knowing a song from the
            book we gave out, we'd be covered! <GRIN>

            In fact, we printed up a badge (that fit a standard badgeholder)
            with the BPC logo and all songs listed, with four checkboxes by each song.
            You "color dot" checked off which song(s) and part(s) you knew.
            (In addition to the column, the dot color represented the part you knew.)
            BTW... It was quite a feat to check them ALL off. For an even bigger
            thrill, if you COULD sing more than one part you then started filling
            out the card in those parts, too. (A few of us had Full Cards. :-)
            Benefit: These badges allowed us to see at a GLANCE during breaks
            which Polecat songs a random gathering of people could sing as
            a pickup quartet or VLQ. VERY time efficient.

            But I see the Polecat books are a bit more today. ($4 each for
            members. Hmmm...) But even so, we're still only talking it costing
            a chapter $20 to outfit a school or a local library with a 5-set with them.
            ... http://www.harmonymarketplace.com/barberpolecat.html

            Now I like Mark's suggestion, of using the freebies. Yea, you'd
            have to bind them into "books". Maybe we could work out a deal with the
            local library, for binding? (Most libraries have book repair equipment.)

            So... Let's talk about creating the "ideal" custom bbs songbook for
            donating to your local library. (With your chapter's contact info, of course! :-)

            What songs would you all suggest to be in it?

            Remember, we should probably FIRST start out with royalty free
            (PD) arrangements, that most chapters would know. IMO it should
            also cover both men's and women's arrangements (sections), so
            the local chapters of ALL barbershop organizations can benefit from it.

            - Keith "What part do you need?" McClary
            --
            "Deja Due: The feeling you've paid that library fine before..."
          • markrusch@tampabay.rr.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
              For the society’s free music, go here: http://www.barbershop.org/document-center/category/19-free-music-for-printing.html

            • Jamie Bedford
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
                Auld Lang Syne is a good arr. with which non-barbershoppers will be
                familiar.
                Irish Blessing is lovely.
                Kentucky Babe is surprisingly fun to sing (though most young folk won't
                know who/what that is) ;)
                One More Song is another lovely tune.
                I Love You Truly could work.
                Down Mobile could work, too.
                I'm All Alone could also work.

                Those are the ones that I'm familiar with and which I think would be the
                best fits from that page, at least as things to send to schools... The only
                authority I can offer is that I'm a 28 year old, 12 year member ;)

                Libraries are perhaps a different matter (though I do think all of those
                will still work). But sending music to schools is targeting a different
                audience than to libraries, and I don't represent the library audience
                quite so well!

                Cheers,
                Jamie Bedford

                On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM, <markrusch@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > For the society�s free music, go here:
                > http://www.barbershop.org/document-center/category/19-free-music-for-printing.html

              • Jordan Truesdell
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
                  If you're putting books in the library, it would be nice to include a
                  (good) CD of the tracks in a back pocket. Again, royalty free would be
                  best, and unfortunately good masters are expensive. A public domain work
                  would be, theoretically, mechanical license free, but the arrangers would
                  have to give their blessing or be paid mechanical fees. (Hey, BHS, how
                  'bout working us a deal - you get the master rights, waive the arranger
                  mech. and repro rights you own, and we print and burn at our expense?)

                  Jordan