Re: [bbshop] Quartet Procedure Question

  • Mark Schuldenfrei
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 3, 2012
      Jordan Truesdell wrote:
      > I replied privately about the meat and bones, but after reading the

      Steve's original question, and the many thoughtful replies, lead
      me to wonder something beyond redressing his problem. (Sorry for
      the costume pun...)

      How should quartets organize? How formal should they be, and when
      should they get formal? What sorts of things should be formally
      noted?

      Would it behoove BHS, SAI and HI to create some useful boilerplate
      documents on the matter? (Or have they, and I am ignorant of them?)

      Clearly there are issues with what it takes to be a BHS quartet
      and compete. But separately there may be issues of money and
      earnings, property purchased, naming rights, rights to music
      and various licensing, and so forth. Bank accounts, taxation,
      stuff like that. Model agreements for forming, leaving, joining
      and dissolving quartets. (I imagine groups like "Old School" and
      "Crossroads" and such have even larger issues, with recordings
      for sale and their residual income, or their own proprietary
      arrangements and the licenses for those: would they stay personal
      or be group property?)

      I'm not in a quartet right now, but if my "Real Life (TM)" slows
      down somewhat, I surely wish to be. I'd appreciate some input
      here, and especially, some input into how the collected wisdom
      here can be put to good use for future Generations. (Another,
      but more obscure, pun. Sorry: bad habit.)

      Mark Schuldenfrei
    • Charlie Davenport
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 5, 2012
        Dave, I don't have a set of rules in front of me, but I am sure that to cross the stage as a performer, you must be a member or Associate member (Director)...

        AND, keep in mind as a Board Member now, you have fiduciary responsibilities. If we have non-dues-paying members with no tickets purchased, how do you account for their incurred expenses, and their lack of contribution toward profits?

        It would be great if the entire Barbershop experience were free and had no restrictions, but that lotter ticket has yet been won.

        All the reasons for "eval only" are right on the money, but we must use our judges to evaluate members, otherwise, we are not being fair to our members.

        Charlie Davenport
        Anything I win above $200 million will go toward making Barbershop a much less expensive thing...