Re: [bbshop] Quartet Procedure Question

  • Jordan Truesdell
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 3, 2012
      I replied privately about the meat and bones, but after reading the
      -----
      Bill Byrd wrote:
      "Remember to be copyright legal, you need to purchase a copy of your
      music for the new member"
      -----

      The *BHS rules *will not allow you to participate in a BHS sanctioned
      competition unless you (still) own a minimum of 4 copies of the music
      and have paid your arranger his chosen fee. Though, thinking through
      it, I think they only require you show proof that your quartet purchased
      4 copies and paid the arranger fee, but it would be somewhat
      disingenuous to offer your "proof" if you no longer have all the copies.
      But I digress...

      *Copyright law* is not exempt from first sale doctrine, and unless you
      have a signed contract with the copyright owner or publisher you did not
      license them, and the purchased items (sheets of music) are not subject
      to any terms other than statutory. Those three remaining copies you own
      are yours to do with as you please, and you are not required to be in
      possession of them to sing in public (that actually does require a
      license, which you or the venue must purchase separately). You may loan
      the new member the old music and any learning CDs until he learns the
      charts (or forever, or you could sell them to him). As long as no
      additional copies are made, you are not in violation. Note that if you
      sell or give them to him, you need to delete the PDF from your iPad;
      same goes for CDs.

      I bring this point up because there seems to be a lot of confusion
      between being in conformance with BHS contest rules and being in
      compliance with copyright regulation. If anyone with finds an error in
      the above, feel free to quote the CFR Title 37 section or the case law
      which applies. (I say this because, while everyone has opinions on what
      the copyright means, the CFR and case law are really all that matters).
      There are sound reasons for the BHS rules, and the rules are such that
      choruses and quartets don't have to worry about being legal as long as
      they follow them, but savvy musicians should know the actual law.

      */Jordan/*
      (who is not a lawyer, but who does professionally create hundreds of
      original copyrighted works a year)

    • Charlie Davenport
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 5, 2012
        Dave, I don't have a set of rules in front of me, but I am sure that to cross the stage as a performer, you must be a member or Associate member (Director)...

        AND, keep in mind as a Board Member now, you have fiduciary responsibilities. If we have non-dues-paying members with no tickets purchased, how do you account for their incurred expenses, and their lack of contribution toward profits?

        It would be great if the entire Barbershop experience were free and had no restrictions, but that lotter ticket has yet been won.

        All the reasons for "eval only" are right on the money, but we must use our judges to evaluate members, otherwise, we are not being fair to our members.

        Charlie Davenport
        Anything I win above $200 million will go toward making Barbershop a much less expensive thing...