Re: Quartet Procedure Question

  • David
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 2, 2012
      I was in the same situation maaaaaany years ago, so I'm not exactly unbiased. In fact, I'm still PO'd after all these years, sad to say. So take the following with a grain of salt:

      a) In absence of an "understanding" ahead of time between its members, the quartet should own all assets paid for with quartet money. If the quartet were breaking up, then the assets should be divided equally, but in this case, the quartet still exists. If you paid out of your own pockets, I'd lean in the other direction, but you didn't.

      This would be no different from a chapter with a chorus. A departing member wouldn't be eligible for a share of the chapter's money just because he sang with the chorus in paid shows. Nor would he be eligible for recompense for outfits that the chapter loaned to him.

      b) You're probably not going to take him to court, so buying them back might be the sensible approach -- IF he'll part with them for significantly less than the replacement cost.

      BUT -- the departing quartet member seriously defaulted on his obligations, so my gut reaction is that he shouldn't get a nickel from the rest of you. In fact, in a truly fair universe, he'd be on the hook to reimburse the quartet and the people who hired the quartet for any lost revenues due to his departure.

      But that's "hot-head Dave" speaking. So, cooler heads, and all that ...

      Dave G.

    • Charlie Davenport
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 5, 2012
        Dave, I don't have a set of rules in front of me, but I am sure that to cross the stage as a performer, you must be a member or Associate member (Director)...

        AND, keep in mind as a Board Member now, you have fiduciary responsibilities. If we have non-dues-paying members with no tickets purchased, how do you account for their incurred expenses, and their lack of contribution toward profits?

        It would be great if the entire Barbershop experience were free and had no restrictions, but that lotter ticket has yet been won.

        All the reasons for "eval only" are right on the money, but we must use our judges to evaluate members, otherwise, we are not being fair to our members.

        Charlie Davenport
        Anything I win above $200 million will go toward making Barbershop a much less expensive thing...