Re: [bbshop] Quartet Procedure Question

  • Travis Murray
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 2, 2012
      Playing "devil's advocate" for a second here, the uniforms were owned
      by an entity (the quartet) of which the recently-departed was a 25%
      owner. As such, I do not think it is necessarily unreasonable for him
      to expect to own 25% of the assets of the quartet. After all, he
      presumably did 25% of the "work" which generated revenue for the
      quartet in the first place.

      Situations like this are never fun. I can see both sides of the
      argument, and I do not think there is a "right" answer. For the vast
      majority of quartets, the assets are so small that this never becomes
      an issue. I hope you are able to work through it equitably and
      professionally and remain friends after it is over. After all, the
      friendships we make quartetting are worth much more than a hundred
      bucks here or there.

      Travis Murray
      Bari - 17 Below
      2011 Carolinas District Quartet Champion
      http://www.17-below.com

      On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Alan St.Louis <alanstlouis@...> wrote:
      > Steve,
      > That is a good one!
      > My feeling on this is if the quartet paid for the uniforms and they can be used by the new member of the quartet, The member leaving the quartet should in
      > fact be willing to let the uniforms go so the quartet can move on.
      > I have been through this many times and still do have uniforms that the quartet paid for but there were other vests and accessories that I let go so the replacement
      > could use them and move on.
      > There was one vest that was passed on to us by another quartet where the vests were hand made sequin vests and could not be replaced and I know for a fact that
      > there were about 6 personnel changes and the vests were always passed on to the newer member.
      > Now the quartet is gone but I still have that vest in my closet.
      > The difference here is that I was a UNIQUE size and the uniforms would not fit anyone else so it wasn’t an issue, If the uniforms fit the new member and you are
      > pressed for time due to upcoming gigs than I think the exiting member is wrong in not allowing this to happen!
      > Good Luck resolving this issue!
      >   AL St.Louis

    • Charlie Davenport
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 5, 2012
        Dave, I don't have a set of rules in front of me, but I am sure that to cross the stage as a performer, you must be a member or Associate member (Director)...

        AND, keep in mind as a Board Member now, you have fiduciary responsibilities. If we have non-dues-paying members with no tickets purchased, how do you account for their incurred expenses, and their lack of contribution toward profits?

        It would be great if the entire Barbershop experience were free and had no restrictions, but that lotter ticket has yet been won.

        All the reasons for "eval only" are right on the money, but we must use our judges to evaluate members, otherwise, we are not being fair to our members.

        Charlie Davenport
        Anything I win above $200 million will go toward making Barbershop a much less expensive thing...