Re: [bbshop] Ideal voice balance in a chorus

  • Marti Lovejoy
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2 11:23 AM
      I say, it depends on the voices of the particular people more than how
      many of each... ;-)

      Marti Lovejoy
      Proud Owner of SING
      SING members have donated over $62,000 to YSF since 2002
      Life Member, Texas, USA - 39 years so far
      http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
      lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net<--remove spaces from link and edress
      The Power of FIVE - it's REAL!

    • bruce.checca@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2 11:40 AM
        Seems like I've only seen results from 5 districts so far... Weren't there 8 that competed the past 2 weekends?

        Bruce Checca
        Marathon FL

        On Oct 2, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Marti Lovejoy <lovejoymar@...> wrote:

        > I say, it depends on the voices of the particular people more than how
        > many of each... ;-)
        >
        > Marti Lovejoy
        > Proud Owner of SING
        > SING members have donated over $62,000 to YSF since 2002
        > Life Member, Texas, USA - 39 years so far
        > http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
        > lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net<--remove spaces from link and edress
        > The Power of FIVE - it's REAL!
        >
        > On 10/2/2011 3:34 AM, John Witmer wrote:
        > > Here is a thread we can all enjoy:
        > >
        > > "All other factors being equal",
        > > what is the ideal ratio of voice parts in a chorus?
        > >
        > > Some suggest 4-3-2-1 or 20 basses, 15 leads, 10 baris and 5 tenors in a 50 man chorus. Others say it depends on the size of the chorus--10 tenors in a 100 man chorus is too many.
        > > What do you say?
        > >
        > > Chordially,
        > > John Witmer
        > > Clemson Downs
        > > Clemson, SC

      • R S York
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2 12:12 PM
          According to S.P.B.S.Q.S.A.'s manual, "Improving Vocal Techniques" page 113, "XI. Balance/Volume Relationships", John you are exactly right. Everyone needs to read pages 113 through 123. The YMIH Songbook, 3 states "Balance is the result of each voice producing volume levels individually that combine to produce a pleasing unit sound".

          Chord-ially,
          Roger York, Director
          Chanticleers Men's Barbershop Chorus
          �We don�t sing because we�re happy, we're happy because we sing.
          Would You Like To Hear Us?

        • Marquis652
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3 10:33 AM
            The balance depends on many factors
            But, one of the "All time Great" chorus directors -Jim Miller- once told me if he had a
            125 man chorus he would like about 60 of them to be basses. I think the rest of his
            breakdown was 40 leads, 20 baris and 5 tenors. In those days we had some great tenors...
            Bob Netherton, Allen Hatton, Kipp Buckner, Fred Farrel and a few other guys.

            Jay Hawkins - bass
            Thoroughbreds and Southern Gateway

            On Oct 2, 2011, at 3:12 PM, R S York <twosing4u@...> wrote:

            > According to S.P.B.S.Q.S.A.'s manual, "Improving Vocal Techniques" page 113, "XI. Balance/Volume Relationships", John you are exactly right. Everyone needs to read pages 113 through 123. The YMIH Songbook, 3 states "Balance is the result of each voice producing volume levels individually that combine to produce a pleasing unit sound".
            >
            > Chord-ially,
            > Roger York, Director
            > Chanticleers Men's Barbershop Chorus
            > “We don’t sing because we’re happy, we're happy because we sing.
            > Would You Like To Hear Us?

          • Marti Lovejoy
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3 3:38 PM
              If you had more baris, you wouldn't need as many basses and it would
              sound richer.... Just MHO.

              On 10/3/2011 12:33 PM, Marquis652 wrote:
              > The balance depends on many factors
              > But, one of the "All time Great" chorus directors -Jim Miller- once told me if he had a
              > 125 man chorus he would like about 60 of them to be basses. I think the rest of his
              > breakdown was 40 leads, 20 baris and 5 tenors. In those days we had some great tenors...
              > Bob Netherton, Allen Hatton, Kipp Buckner, Fred Farrel and a few other guys.
              >
              > Jay Hawkins - bass
              > Thoroughbreds and Southern Gateway

            • Alexander Boltenko
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3 4:43 PM
                Marty,

                There is NEVER too many basses! I know - I'm a bass

                --
                *
                Alexander Boltenko

                *