Ideal voice balance in a chorus

  • John Witmer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
      Here is a thread we can all enjoy:

      "All other factors being equal",
      what is the ideal ratio of voice parts in a chorus?

      Some suggest 4-3-2-1 or 20 basses, 15 leads, 10 baris and 5 tenors in a 50 man chorus. Others say it depends on the size of the chorus--10 tenors in a 100 man chorus is too many.
      What do you say?

      Chordially,
      John Witmer
      Clemson Downs
      Clemson, SC

    • Marti Lovejoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
        I say, it depends on the voices of the particular people more than how
        many of each... ;-)

        Marti Lovejoy
        Proud Owner of SING
        SING members have donated over $62,000 to YSF since 2002
        Life Member, Texas, USA - 39 years so far
        http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
        lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net<--remove spaces from link and edress
        The Power of FIVE - it's REAL!

      • bruce.checca@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
          Seems like I've only seen results from 5 districts so far... Weren't there 8 that competed the past 2 weekends?

          Bruce Checca
          Marathon FL

          On Oct 2, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Marti Lovejoy <lovejoymar@...> wrote:

          > I say, it depends on the voices of the particular people more than how
          > many of each... ;-)
          >
          > Marti Lovejoy
          > Proud Owner of SING
          > SING members have donated over $62,000 to YSF since 2002
          > Life Member, Texas, USA - 39 years so far
          > http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
          > lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net<--remove spaces from link and edress
          > The Power of FIVE - it's REAL!
          >
          > On 10/2/2011 3:34 AM, John Witmer wrote:
          > > Here is a thread we can all enjoy:
          > >
          > > "All other factors being equal",
          > > what is the ideal ratio of voice parts in a chorus?
          > >
          > > Some suggest 4-3-2-1 or 20 basses, 15 leads, 10 baris and 5 tenors in a 50 man chorus. Others say it depends on the size of the chorus--10 tenors in a 100 man chorus is too many.
          > > What do you say?
          > >
          > > Chordially,
          > > John Witmer
          > > Clemson Downs
          > > Clemson, SC

        • R S York
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2011
            According to S.P.B.S.Q.S.A.'s manual, "Improving Vocal Techniques" page 113, "XI. Balance/Volume Relationships", John you are exactly right. Everyone needs to read pages 113 through 123. The YMIH Songbook, 3 states "Balance is the result of each voice producing volume levels individually that combine to produce a pleasing unit sound".

            Chord-ially,
            Roger York, Director
            Chanticleers Men's Barbershop Chorus
            �We don�t sing because we�re happy, we're happy because we sing.
            Would You Like To Hear Us?

          • Marquis652
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
              The balance depends on many factors
              But, one of the "All time Great" chorus directors -Jim Miller- once told me if he had a
              125 man chorus he would like about 60 of them to be basses. I think the rest of his
              breakdown was 40 leads, 20 baris and 5 tenors. In those days we had some great tenors...
              Bob Netherton, Allen Hatton, Kipp Buckner, Fred Farrel and a few other guys.

              Jay Hawkins - bass
              Thoroughbreds and Southern Gateway

              On Oct 2, 2011, at 3:12 PM, R S York <twosing4u@...> wrote:

              > According to S.P.B.S.Q.S.A.'s manual, "Improving Vocal Techniques" page 113, "XI. Balance/Volume Relationships", John you are exactly right. Everyone needs to read pages 113 through 123. The YMIH Songbook, 3 states "Balance is the result of each voice producing volume levels individually that combine to produce a pleasing unit sound".
              >
              > Chord-ially,
              > Roger York, Director
              > Chanticleers Men's Barbershop Chorus
              > “We don’t sing because we’re happy, we're happy because we sing.
              > Would You Like To Hear Us?

            • Marti Lovejoy
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
                If you had more baris, you wouldn't need as many basses and it would
                sound richer.... Just MHO.

                On 10/3/2011 12:33 PM, Marquis652 wrote:
                > The balance depends on many factors
                > But, one of the "All time Great" chorus directors -Jim Miller- once told me if he had a
                > 125 man chorus he would like about 60 of them to be basses. I think the rest of his
                > breakdown was 40 leads, 20 baris and 5 tenors. In those days we had some great tenors...
                > Bob Netherton, Allen Hatton, Kipp Buckner, Fred Farrel and a few other guys.
                >
                > Jay Hawkins - bass
                > Thoroughbreds and Southern Gateway

              • Alexander Boltenko
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
                  Marty,

                  There is NEVER too many basses! I know - I'm a bass

                  --
                  *
                  Alexander Boltenko

                  *