Re: Competition, Competition, Competition

  • barvazoni
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
      Not long after reading the earlier posts on this topic I found myself driving past a firehouse. There was a basketball hoop outside and some firemen were out there shooting baskets. We men being competitive by nature, its likely that at some point they may even challenge a neighboring firehouse to a game. Eventually others will be invited, and you could call it the beginnings of an informal league. If things progress as they usually do, some members of the league will take it very seriously. They'll call special practices, bring in ringers, and become generally obsessed with winning at basketball. The less obsessed, tired of being trampled in lopsided games against the serious teams, will simply stop participating in the competition. Its not fun anymore, so why bother?

      Is this what has happened to us?
    • Dick Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
        "Is this what has happened to us?"

        - - - O - - - |

        Another cry from the wilderness? <G>

        Dick Johnson
        Great Falls, MT

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
          Ron wrote: Not long after reading the earlier posts on this topic I found
          myself driving past a firehouse. There was a basketball hoop outside and
          some firemen were out there shooting baskets. We men being competitive by
          nature, its likely that at some point they may even challenge a neighboring
          firehouse to a game. Eventually others will be invited, and you could call
          it the beginnings of an informal league. If things progress as they usually
          do, some members of the league will take it very seriously. They'll call
          special practices, bring in ringers, and become generally obsessed with
          winning at basketball. The less obsessed, tired of being trampled in
          lopsided games against the serious teams, will simply stop participating in
          the competition. Its not fun anymore, so why bother?

          KK: It's been going on for years, through good and lean years. Started in
          1939 with quartets and 195x with choruses. An age-old question.

          I completely agree with Alan G on the judging community wishing that members
          didn't view this as a "winning/losing" proposition. Although we write down
          scores because people wish to be competitive, we are motivated to be there
          to help you become a better barbershop singer/performer. If all I did was
          write down a score, I wouldn't be a judge. Come to a HU class on "So You
          Wanna Be a Judge" and you quickly learn that you, too, can score pretty well
          with the rubric that our C&J system uses. A few years ago I was at a SUN
          convention and The Miamians were in the lobby on a Friday afternoon giving a
          "lobby show". When we talk to quartets (and choruses as well) we find out
          that people have different expectations about going to contest. Not
          everyone is there to win. Some are there to participate (would you rather
          sing or watch?). Some are there to compete. Others are there to push their
          boundaries and grow. I welcome them all and value their participation, as
          does the rest of C&J. Yes, the framework is a competition, but it doesn't
          have to be. You can sing for evaluation only (and groups do that). Cool!
          Just had a merger group perform in SUN last week so that they would have
          enough to sing on stage. So in the eval we talked about what each chapter
          could do, not about what happened on stage.

          I think Ron does have a point. But it's human nature, not just specific to
          barbershop. Some people (especially but definitely not exclusively men)
          love to compete because that's in their blood. They thrive on being pushed
          to their limits and growing and grow frustrated when others don't share that
          same passion.

          As I travel, I do see that districts are rethinking their convention
          experience, trying to do more non-competition events. I salute Tom
          Woodall's efforts in ILL - for the last 3-4 conventions, he has a "Sing with
          a Champ" session (nothing like at Int'l). The past district champs have
          "Burger King" crowns on. You walk up and you say - "let's sing". And you
          sing and mix it up, always singing with at least one champ (including guys
          with medals around their necks). Although scheduled for only an hour, it
          goes way past that because everyone (note on everyone) is having so much
          fun. And that's just one idea that's working.

          Give feedback to your convention teams - what would you like to see?
          Furthermore, take the initiative like Tom Woodall did. Create an event.

          Cheers!

          Kevin

          Kevin Keller

          kkbari@...