Re: [bbshop] Re: Chapter Music Library For Quartetting?

  • Bill Byrd
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2 2:45 PM
      it is my understanding that the entity putting on the show IE, the group
      renting the venue, or the bar, is responsible for the ASCAP license for the
      particular performance. When we are hired by someone to do a show, it it
      their show and they are responsible. If we put on the show, no matter what
      the venue may be, we are on the hook for the license. If we are hired for a
      show, the folks running the show need to address this issue. We can make it
      clear in our performance agreement that they are responsible. It can be a
      big deal, and if someone that does not regularly produce entertainment, they
      may not be familiar with the requirements. Concert halls and other large
      venues do not generally provide the coverage to groups renting their
      facility. If the concert hall is the promoter then they will provide the
      license. This is rare. The BHS has an agreement that covers it's chapters,
      but not anyone else. If you hire an act (Say a quartet, or even a trombone
      trio) they are part of your show, and are covered by your license.
      Bill Byrd
      Not a lawyer, but slightly educated.
      CNU Theater student.