Re: Mixed quartet arrangements

  • Tom Gentry
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
      A Discussion List For Those Interested in Barbershop HarmonyMarty and the rest of you are invited to check out the Mixed page on my website:

      www.harmonize.ws/tgentry

      Click first on Tom's Arrangements.

      Tom Gentry

    • Paul Girard
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
        Go to the catalog and search for "mixed".
        I found almost 20 that were not listed for double quartet, including two by Mixed Metafour.
        Paul

        On Sep 1, 2011, at 7:59 AM, bbshop@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Mixed quartet arrangements
        > Posted by: "Marty" pamart@... betterbari
        > Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:41 am (PDT)
        >
        > The only mixed quartet I remember was organized by JERRY ORLOFF.
        > Are there any published arrangements out there for a mixed quartet?
        > That would be 2 guys and 2 gals....
        > TIA
        > Marty at betterbari@...

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
          > We are looking for a source for mixed barbershop quartet
          > arrangements. Anybody have a good source?

          Dear All,

          At www.tsvp.org (Sydney Vocal Project) we are having great success using mens arrangements, putting them up around 2 tones. This works well for us and our construct as we have female Basses singing parts 2 and 3 (with lead vocal qualities in part 2), all males singing part 4 and female leads and tenors singing part 1. This part 4 voicing does often stretch the male Basses at the top part of their range singing often around middle C/D, however the trade off is twofold 1. they can be almost fully resonant down around low G, as it rarely goes any lower being 2 tones up and 2. part 4 doesn't have to 'push' on the lower notes using more head voice and less chest (push) creating a more gentle and musical sound, balancing better (IMO) with the softer female tones above them.

          It sometimes lacks a little width on the lower notes (can re-voice chords to aleviate) and real weight/twang on high tags. However the big trade off here is the sound in part 2 and 3 has a lighter and more natural/musical quality (lead and bari) when singing around F/G/A above middle C.

          The balance and blend is generally very good and when we do other styles of music there are enough female leads singing part 1 to carry the melody with lead type quality. There sometimes needs to be a bit more fiddling in terms of re-arranging the voicing on certain important chords.

          Some very capable and rangy male singers could sing part 2 or 3 in this configuration, however they would have to be vocally very flexible and rangy as well as being able to seamlessly blend through head to falsetto voice.

          We have a sample of how this works for our set up on our home page at www.tsvp.org and in SVP rehearsal Vid page.

          Good luck, the key for our set up to work is to have mostly female Basses singing part 3 and 2.

          Kind regards,

          Jim
          Artistic and Musical Director
          www.tsvp.org
        • Lauren Rants
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2011
            I need an email address for Mark Hale. Can any of you help me out?

            Lauren
          • Lauren Rants
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2011