Re: Phone Apps For Rehearsing

  • Michael Baribeau
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
      Actually my test droid with DeciBel isn't bad, I'm going to try it out at rehearsal.

      Unfortunately my follow up tests on the RingDroid app mic record function kept randomly shutting off even after removing and reloading and the quality wasn't great. But Rehearsal Assistant has an ok compressed quality setting (3min song 500k) and an EXCELLENT uncompressed setting (3min song 13meg) and can email it (if your inbox is big enough:) Plus I wouldn't want to leave it on all rehearsal. Oh, and don't forget to mute your phone ringer while recording:)

      I haven't heard from any iphone audiophiles yet.

      Michael

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Baribeau" <michaelbaribeau@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > recording it to a 2nd track.  Then I can play back both tracks simultaneously to
      > > hear how well I blend or even isolate just my voice to pick out more issues.  I
      > > can even mix and email it for coaching all from the app (although so far I've
      > > only been able to get the attachment to work with my gmail and not yahoo yet).
      > > I've made a test sample on the app that I then 'shared' by emailing to myself.
      > > The sample is now at the link below...
      > >

      > > http://greatlakeschorus.org/misc/thatslifemikeb072511.wav%c2%a0
      > >
      > > It's not my best recording as I'm dealing with allergies and without a warmup
      > > but you can get the idea.  I would have preferred an app that allowed me to
      > > import mp3 or wav learning tracks in their original stereo using the USB port
      > > (instead of holding the phone up to the computer speakers) and would also let me
      > > change the balance of each track to remove the predominant voice that way but
      > > haven't found one for droid yet.  The app J4T comes close to doing this except
      > > it mixes the stereo so the predominant voice is now in both speakers (and also
      > > no balance control) and it's not free.  Of course you can do all this even
      > > better with Audacity on a computer and maybe even to some extent with your
      > > computer's own media player and separate sound recorder but this smart phone app
      > > is a pretty fun and convenient option.
      > >

      > > Part of the reason I'm posting this though is I'm wondering if anyone knows
      > > something similar or better for iPhones as well (cheap or free preferably) that
      > > I can share on our chorus website.
      > >

      > > I'm still researching apps but since I'm on the subject I also like the droid
      > > apps below.  If you know of any cheap iPhone versions of these as well I'd
      > > appreciate you sharing.
      > >

      > > -Gstrings Free 'tune auto' function so when I sing scales no mater what notes I
      > > sing it tells me what they are and how close to on pitch I am.
      > >

      > > -Musical Lite and it's pitch pipe, also a free app.
      > >
      > > -RingDroid can record a rehearsal,  store it on the SD card, it has a waveform
      > > graphic of the audio you can scroll through looking for loud audio moments
      > > (singing) or scroll ahead by the time stamps, you can then select and crop the
      > > section you want and save just that bit under it own name.  I prefer learning
      > > tracks so I haven't tested how long it will record for but I've read it'll keep
      > > recording as long as you have space on the SD card.  Neat little feature I just
      > > read about too is it can also record phone calls (now I got a way to save those
      > > voice mails of mine:)
      > >

      > > -Tag Master has worked well for me for accessing
      > > http://www.barbershoptags.com/%c2%a0on my droid.
      > >

      > > -Still looking for a decibel app to chart out dynamics (RingDroid's waveform
      > > graphic kinda does but a more defined numeric result would more useful.  The
      > > free droid app deciBel looks promising as a rough gage but the phone mics just
      > > aren't designed well enough to be used accurately this way I guess.

    • Michael Baribeau
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2011
        Great app Daivid! I do like Tag Master but wish when I select a voice part that it is speaker specific so I can use the apps balance control to reduce or remove entirely so I can harmonize with just me and the 3 other voices. Am I doing something wrong or does it vary with however barbershoptags.com had recived it?

        Michael

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, David Poll <david@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > tracks so I haven't tested how long it will record for but I've read it'll
        > > keep
        > > recording as long as you have space on the SD card. Neat little feature I
        > > just
        > > read about too is it can also record phone calls (now I got a way to save
        > > those
        > > voice mails of mine:)
        > >
        > > -Tag Master has worked well for me for accessing
        > > http://www.barbershoptags.com/ on my droid.
        > >
        > > -Still looking for a decibel app to chart out dynamics (RingDroid's
        > > waveform
        > > graphic kinda does but a more defined numeric result would more useful.
        > > The
        > > free droid app deciBel looks promising as a rough gage but the phone mics
        > > just
        > > aren't designed well enough to be used accurately this way I guess.

      • David Poll
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2011
          Michael,

          Yeah, it's based on how barbershoptags.com received it. For tags that have
          part-predominant tracks, you should just be able to adjust the balance. For
          tags that have single-part-only tracks, that won't work as well. At the top
          of the tracks list it should say what type of tracks these are (single voice
          or part-predominant) so you can decide how to listen to it.

          -David

        • Michael Baribeau
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2011
            Thanks Dave, I was doing it wrong but having lots of fun with the app:)