Re: Different Spin on "Woodshed Contests"

  • bandit7577@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 3:55 AM
      A woodshed "contest" sounds like a great idea. Why not just do it?

      It seems that in this day of the internet, harmonet and everythingelsenet, it would be easy to advertise, get a relatively small venue at the next international convention, put up a couple of tables for snacks, invite people as a hospitality room, put up a sign that says "WOODSHED" and conduct a contest. Give out wood medals (hickory, oak, pine, etc).

      Start small and watch it grow.

      Doug Johnson
      Robbinsdale, Minnesota
      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Toban Dvoretzky" <TBone@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > And the mighty fine Jack Martin wrote, in part:
      >
      > >I like this idea also. Maybe Toban could think on this, and with some Kenosha help, hold a fun woodshed competition in Louisville.<
      >
      > ---
      > And Toban writes:
      >
      > Who needs another contest, with (aargh) winners/losers and (urgh) spectators?
      >
      > I'll preface the following idea with a real piece of Barbershop history: In their championship year, the Chordbusters had just been awarded their gold medals when word spread through the auditorium that the quartet had sung written arrangements. There was nearly a riot. The judges hauled the quartet backstage and obliged it to WOODSHED several melodies to their satisfaction. The quartet passed, because otherwise it would have had to swap its gold medals for those initially awarded to the silver medalists. (This information came from Mo Rector, who heard it directly from Doc Enmeier.)
      >
      > A few years ago, I proposed that the Society add a component to International quartet contests: An extra round during which each competing quartet is obliged to demonstrate not just its "arrangement-singing" skills (as now), but also its EAR-SINGING abilities.
      >
      > I'd have to research the details of what I proposed, but the essence, if memory serves, is this:
      >
      > 1. Each quartet is handed a melody that no one in the quartet has sung before, with minimal-yet-adequate time to practice.
      >
      > 2. In a PRIVATE session (woodshedding is not a spectator sport) in front of judges with excellent ears, the quartet demonstrates its ability to create acceptable, appropriate, complete, ringing harmonies around that melody. The members would even be allowed to stay on their registered voice-part.
      >
      > 3. If it is determined that anyone in the quartet HAS sung, seen, or arranged the melody on paper (either prior to the convention or "on the fly" during the minimal practicing on-site), either the quartet would be handed another melody (my preference) or a disqualification score of Zero would be assigned for the ear-singing portion of the quartet contest, depending on the timing of the discovery of the disingenuousness.
      >
      > 4. An assigned score from the ear-singing is combined with the regular scores from the performance-singing, and the medalist and other rankings are determined from the ultimate totals.
      >

      > I ask, and I believe very reasonably: Should not our champion quartets demonstrate their championship abilities on BOTH the "performance" AND the "extemporaneous" sides of the Barbershop spectrum? Many gold medalists already have done so, as evidenced by pre- or post-championship induction into AHSOW as individuals, yet adding a formal ear-singing component would leave no doubt as to the breadth of their abilities as Barbershoppers.

    • Michael Baribeau
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 11:18 AM
        The Barbershop Quartet Preservation Association (BQPA) has some kind of pickup/woodshed festival/contest twice a year. According to their website...

        http://www.bqpa.com/

        ...the next BQPA Quartet Festival is Chicago, IL September 7-10, 2011.

        Michael Baribeau
        Webmaster@...