Phone Apps For Rehearsing

  • Michael Baribeau
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2011
      I've been playing with a free droid phone app call FourTrack Lite, a multitrack
      recorder (DAW Digital Audio Workstation).  What I've been doing is playing the
      That's Life learning track on my computer, using the computer audio settings to
      shift the balance and remove the predominant voice (in my case lead) and hold my
      phone up to my computer speakers and record those 3 voices onto one of the 4
      tracks, put on my headphones, and while playing it back singing the lead and
      recording it to a 2nd track.  Then I can play back both tracks simultaneously to
      hear how well I blend or even isolate just my voice to pick out more issues.  I
      can even mix and email it for coaching all from the app (although so far I've
      only been able to get the attachment to work with my gmail and not yahoo yet).
      I've made a test sample on the app that I then 'shared' by emailing to myself.
      The sample is now at the link below...

      http://greatlakeschorus.org/misc/thatslifemikeb072511.wav%c2%a0

      It's not my best recording as I'm dealing with allergies and without a warmup
      but you can get the idea.  I would have preferred an app that allowed me to
      import mp3 or wav learning tracks in their original stereo using the USB port
      (instead of holding the phone up to the computer speakers) and would also let me
      change the balance of each track to remove the predominant voice that way but
      haven't found one for droid yet.  The app J4T comes close to doing this except
      it mixes the stereo so the predominant voice is now in both speakers (and also
      no balance control) and it's not free.  Of course you can do all this even
      better with Audacity on a computer and maybe even to some extent with your
      computer's own media player and separate sound recorder but this smart phone app
      is a pretty fun and convenient option.

      Part of the reason I'm posting this though is I'm wondering if anyone knows
      something similar or better for iPhones as well (cheap or free preferably) that
      I can share on our chorus website.

      I'm still researching apps but since I'm on the subject I also like the droid
      apps below.  If you know of any cheap iPhone versions of these as well I'd
      appreciate you sharing.

      -Gstrings Free 'tune auto' function so when I sing scales no mater what notes I
      sing it tells me what they are and how close to on pitch I am.

      -Musical Lite and it's pitch pipe, also a free app.

      -RingDroid can record a rehearsal,  store it on the SD card, it has a waveform
      graphic of the audio you can scroll through looking for loud audio moments
      (singing) or scroll ahead by the time stamps, you can then select and crop the
      section you want and save just that bit under it own name.  I prefer learning
      tracks so I haven't tested how long it will record for but I've read it'll keep
      recording as long as you have space on the SD card.  Neat little feature I just
      read about too is it can also record phone calls (now I got a way to save those
      voice mails of mine:)

      -Tag Master has worked well for me for accessing
      http://www.barbershoptags.com/%c2%a0on my droid.

      -Still looking for a decibel app to chart out dynamics (RingDroid's waveform
      graphic kinda does but a more defined numeric result would more useful.  The
      free droid app deciBel looks promising as a rough gage but the phone mics just
      aren't designed well enough to be used accurately this way I guess.

      Michael Baribeau
      Webmaster@...

    • David Poll
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2011
        I hate to hawk my own apps (I'm an engineer, not a salesman!), but I'm going
        to do it anyway ;)

        For Android and Windows Phone 7, Tag Master (for accessing
        barbershoptags.com) and Pitch Perfect (a pitch pipe intended for singers --
        lets you keep a song-->key list, get pitches by key signature, etc.) are
        free. I'm just in the process of learning iOS development so I can port
        them there as well (it's a fun little experiment for me in my "copious" free
        time ;)). You can pick them all up (and will be able to pick up the iOS
        versions there too if/when I finish them, which may be a number of months
        off still) at http://apps.depoll.com/barbershop

        And rest assured: I take suggestions from other 'shoppers very seriously.
        Most of the features I added to each of these apps past v1 were suggestions
        from folks, so don't be shy about emailing me with requests for the apps ;)

        I haven't used the iphone tag apps much, but I've heard very good things
        about Afterglow on there. For a pitch pipe (though it's not free), I always
        used Cleartune when I was on my iphone.

        All the best,
        David Poll
        Lead, Voices in Harmony
        Lead, First Strike
        http://apps.depoll.com (for Tag Master and Pitch Perfect apps -- free for
        Windows Phone 7 and Android users)

      • Michael Baribeau
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2011
          The share feature via yahoo mail issue seems to have been a glitch with my yahoo app, just required removing and reinstalling.

          Michael

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Michael Baribeau <michaelbaribeau@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > (singing) or scroll ahead by the time stamps, you can then select and crop the
          > section you want and save just that bit under it own name.  I prefer learning
          > tracks so I haven't tested how long it will record for but I've read it'll keep
          > recording as long as you have space on the SD card.  Neat little feature I just
          > read about too is it can also record phone calls (now I got a way to save those
          > voice mails of mine:)
          >

          > -Tag Master has worked well for me for accessing
          > http://www.barbershoptags.com/%c2%a0on my droid.
          >

          > -Still looking for a decibel app to chart out dynamics (RingDroid's waveform
          > graphic kinda does but a more defined numeric result would more useful.  The
          > free droid app deciBel looks promising as a rough gage but the phone mics just
          > aren't designed well enough to be used accurately this way I guess.

        • Michael Baribeau
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
            Actually my test droid with DeciBel isn't bad, I'm going to try it out at rehearsal.

            Unfortunately my follow up tests on the RingDroid app mic record function kept randomly shutting off even after removing and reloading and the quality wasn't great. But Rehearsal Assistant has an ok compressed quality setting (3min song 500k) and an EXCELLENT uncompressed setting (3min song 13meg) and can email it (if your inbox is big enough:) Plus I wouldn't want to leave it on all rehearsal. Oh, and don't forget to mute your phone ringer while recording:)

            I haven't heard from any iphone audiophiles yet.

          • Michael Baribeau
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7, 2011
              Great app Daivid! I do like Tag Master but wish when I select a voice part that it is speaker specific so I can use the apps balance control to reduce or remove entirely so I can harmonize with just me and the 3 other voices. Am I doing something wrong or does it vary with however barbershoptags.com had recived it?

              Michael

              --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, David Poll <david@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > tracks so I haven't tested how long it will record for but I've read it'll
              > > keep
              > > recording as long as you have space on the SD card. Neat little feature I
              > > just
              > > read about too is it can also record phone calls (now I got a way to save
              > > those
              > > voice mails of mine:)
              > >
              > > -Tag Master has worked well for me for accessing
              > > http://www.barbershoptags.com/ on my droid.
              > >
              > > -Still looking for a decibel app to chart out dynamics (RingDroid's
              > > waveform
              > > graphic kinda does but a more defined numeric result would more useful.
              > > The
              > > free droid app deciBel looks promising as a rough gage but the phone mics
              > > just
              > > aren't designed well enough to be used accurately this way I guess.

            • David Poll
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2011
                Michael,

                Yeah, it's based on how barbershoptags.com received it. For tags that have
                part-predominant tracks, you should just be able to adjust the balance. For
                tags that have single-part-only tracks, that won't work as well. At the top
                of the tracks list it should say what type of tracks these are (single voice
                or part-predominant) so you can decide how to listen to it.

                -David

              • Michael Baribeau
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 10, 2011
                  Thanks Dave, I was doing it wrong but having lots of fun with the app:)