      From: bbshop@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bbshop@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Tom Wiener
      Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 10:09 PM
      To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bbshop] Intervals and moods

      The following paragraph is part of a discussion of Indian music that, if I
      understand the discussion correctly, has 22 different tones in an octave.
      (This
      compares to some larger number - 96? - of tones we barbershoppers claim.)

      "The interval of a pure 4th (4:3) is considered feminine and to have a
      quality
      of (essence of) moonlight so is suitable for evenings and before dawn. The
      64:45
      (tritone) expresses tentativeness and uncertainty so is often used at dawn
      and
      dusk, and midday and midnight, when there are crucial changes (interestingly
      our
      tritone which is 10% of a semitone sharper expresses fear and anguish). The
      5:4
      major third expresses peaceful contentment, while the 81:64 major third
      expresses a more active joy. So depending on what state is being expressed
      evoke
      certain shades of 3rds, 6ths, 7ths and 2nds are used. The tonic and dominant
      do
      not vary and only occasionally is there a different subdominant."

      Do the deep thinkers of barbershop harmony have any thoughts on the points
      made?
      Do arrangers make choices based on such considerations? Do singers choose to
      tune chords differently for similar reasons?

      Curiously,

      Tom Wiener

      Bari

      Seven Thirty-four, A Barbershop Quartet

      Music Director

      The Arlingtones Barbershop Chorus of Virginia

      Southern Division Plateau A Champions 2010, 2008, 2007

      AHSOW Class of 1989

      t.wiener@...