84967Book: The Public Domain

  • David Dantowitz
    Nov 30, 2008
      New book, offered in print and free via PDF.

      "Our music, our culture, our science, and our economic welfare all
      depend on a delicate balance between those ideas that are controlled
      and those that are free, between intellectual property and the public
      domain. InThe Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind James
      Boyle introduces readers to the idea of the public domain and
      describes how it is being tragically eroded by our current copyright,
      patent, and trademark laws. In a series of fascinating case studies,
      Boyle explains why gene sequences, basic business ideas and pairs of
      musical notes are now owned, why jazz might be illegal if it were
      invented today, why most of 20th century culture is legally
      unavailable to us, and why today’s policies would probably have
      smothered the World Wide Web at its inception. Appropriately given its
      theme, the book will be sold commercially but also made available
      online for free under a Creative Commons license."