59289The Job Listing - for men only

  • Chris Slacke
    Oct 1 7:27 AM
      (This post is for the guys only. All you gals need to go find a shirt
      to iron, or something to cook, or whatever...)

      So, will the BHS hire the best person for the Director of Music &
      Education position, or only the best male applicant? I noticed the
      listing discriminates against the fairer sex right from the giddyup:

      "Job Opening: Director of Music and Education

      This position requires:
      Membership in the Barbershop Harmony Society.
      ......"

      Unless the BHS is prepared to make an exception in this instance, it
      is hardly an equal opportunity, given this particular requirement
      eliminates 50% of the population. How clever.

      Really, are we still that far behind? Good Grief! We need a manager,
      an imaginative, humble servant of the style to keep us going and move
      us forward. I'll admit it's only partially sarcastic to say I believe
      ANYTHING would be an improvement over the last regime. It's a matter
      of commitment!

      Chris Slacke

      www.barbershop.org/ID_054125

      > Responsibilities:
      > Planning and budgeting
      > Managing staff
      > Establishing/overseeing Society programs
      > Interacting with leaders of other vocal music organizations
      >
      > This position requires:
      > A bachelors degree in music or music education.
      > Superior skills in business administration, management,
      > writing, and knowledge of barbershop style.
      > Membership in the Barbershop Harmony Society.
      > Ten years work experience in music related field.
      > Experience in quartet/chorus activity.
      > Willingness to travel.
      >
      > Email a cover letter and résumé to rlewis@s...
      >
      > Applications will be reviewed beginning August 15.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic