368322 Chorus Rounds (was Re: [bbshop] This just in....Don Harris quits as Barbershop Society's International CEO!!!)

  • gsbmedal@comcast.net
    Feb 5, 2004
      At 12:04 PM 2/5/2004 -0700, Brian Gordon wrote:
      >On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:39:35PM -0600, BobBabcock@... wrote:
      > > Anyone know what the real deal is with the note below about "West Towns
      > > chorus won International by placing second in both rounds of the contest"?
      > >
      > > What it a fluke of scoring?
      > >

      >That was during the short experiment with a two round Chorus contest -- was it
      >Hartford? It was just the way the numbers worked out. They came in second to
      >"Chorus A" in the semis, second to "Chorus B" in the finals, and had the
      >highest total score, so they won. Consistency has its rewards...
      >
      >I'm sure someone will fill in the "A" and "B" for me.

      [Time to change the subject line.......... ;-]

      There were two chorus rounds in San Antonio 1988 as well, and that was that
      ;-).
      I think the feedback given to the C & J admins was that it was too taxing
      for the choruses to prepare 4 rounds of songs, especially for those groups
      winning district and going to International year after year.

      That was the year my husband competed in 5 rounds (2 chorus rounds with the
      New Tradition - they medalled into the 4th place bronze with 77 men on
      stage, and Chicago Chord of Trade got a 3rd place bronze) and directed the
      AIC chorus.
      Yes, he was VERY tired by Sunday morning, but that weekend had one of those
      "barbershop moments" when the 3 quartets from ILL in the Top 5 all sang
      together in a hospitality room - Chiefs of Staff (1st), Chicago Chord of
      Trade (3rd) and Chordiac Arrest (5th). Talk about an amazing Very Large
      Quartet - holy overtones, Batman!

      The Vocal Majority won the chorus contest that year.

      - Helen Giallombardo, with fond memories of 1988's contest
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic