107695RE: [bbshop] Web Cast & Stuff

  • Jeremy Reynolds
    Jul 12, 2013
      Personally, I don't care how long a chorus sings. When we had time limits,
      it was very limiting. HOWEVER (yes, I'm shouting), I think there should be
      a time limit for setting up and tearing down. When The New Tradition Chorus
      did the Les Mis package, we took on 8 or 10 platforms and enough backing
      material to build a barricade for the uprising and we did it and got 140 men
      on stage in approximately 3 minutes. We got off the stage in about the same
      time. We planned ahead for it and practiced it many times before we ever
      got to the contest arena. Look how quickly Greendale got their entire green
      army onto the stage even though their entire front row had their feet bound
      together. I don't know exactly what the time limit should be but perhaps
      three or four minutes (from the time the previous chorus has left the stage,
      or from the time the next chorus is given permission to enter) should be
      enough. Anything more is just an insult to the audience.

      I understand that Alliance had a problem with chokepoints and had to
      disassemble their circus tent and re-assemble it on stage. They should have
      asked permission to measure the path to the stage ahead of time so that they
      would know just what they could and couldn't do and take steps ahead of
      time. Bad logistics! And probably bad planning to have parts that were too
      big for anything. A chorus can certainly put on a circus set without the
      elaborate tent! We barbershop audiences have good imaginations. We can
      understand implied scenery. TNL could have built a barn to show that their
      set was occurring on a farm. We didn't need that. We got the vegetable
      garden with only the fences in front of the sunflowers and the costumes.

      The Senate-Aires were something else, however. They didn't have elaborate
      sets. They just (IMNSHO) did a boring job of getting onto the stage and
      took way, way, way tooooooooo long to do it. We got the joke in the first
      minute. It wasn't funny after that.

      Jeremy Reynolds