107544Re: Chorus and Quartet rankings, why not?

  • tpblead
    Jul 1, 2013
      Please don't ascribe motives where none are evident. The rankings shown here are a summary compiled from the Spring BHS contests. There isn't any rule about how the compilation is made, that I am aware of. It is simply done as a service by Steve Tremper, on his own time. There is a lot of data that is not included here, that goes into the final rankings, like, which quartets have declined a wild card invitation or withdrew after the contest. Steve puts it in when he knows, but if it happens after the final contest, it doesn't always get in there. The BHS website generally has this info on the convention page, at least up until the time of the draw. Once the draw happens, in theory, the contest is on a completely even footing, so that previous scores have no bearing on scoring for the contest. I also like the idea of having a basis for ocmparison, especially when trying to guess the outcome ahead of time.

      There used to be, and perhaps still is, a book distributed (for a fee), by the Morin's which included this kind of info.

      Tim Buell