The US 1898 Krag Bowie Bayonet

  • bayohunter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2004
      F.Y.I.:
      The US 1898 Krag Bowie Bayonet

      For a Great Reference Page See:
      Bayonet Trader
      http://www.bayonetsonline.com/

      US 1898 Krag Bowie Bayonet
      Comments: Marked US on right side of blade and 1900 on left. Some
      fakes have been found with little value. Overall length is 348mm and
      the blade is 231mm. The muzzle ring diameter is 16mm. Only 2,818
      were made in the Springfield Armory. Of this total, 1,500 were sent
      to the Philippines and 500 to Cuba for field testing in 1901. These
      bayonets were found to be too light for their general purpose and not
      adopted. Fake models have been found with a very pronounced
      narrowing of the blade before the handle. This have little value and
      sell in the $50-$100 range (see photo to right).

      Rifle: Krag 1892-96-98

      Rarity: R3+ = Rare (very hard to find)

      Price range: $1000-$2000 US

      Demensions:

      Diameter casing: 15 mm.

      Overall length: 365 mm.

      Length handle: 122 mm.

      Length blade: 242 mm.

      Length 1st against-edge: 48 mm.

      Length second against-edge: 90 mm.

      Dispatcher blade with, the base: 43,5 mm.

      Width blade at its base: 27 mm.

      Thickness blade at the base: 6 mm.

      Weight: 515 G.

      Other references:
      US 1898 Krag Bowie Bayonet
      http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/uskragb1.htm
      U.S. 30-40 Krag Info
      http://members.aol.com/bigpopa671/krag.html
      The Bayonet, Evolution and Design
      http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/okca_1998.htm

      Remember though, that I am on a learning curve myself but I am always
      glad to recieve any added advice.
      I do these just for fun, as bayonets are an interest of mine. :)
      At your service,

      Richard Abbenbroek
      The Bayo-Hunter....
      http://www.bayo-hunter.com
      The Bayonet Collecting Group
      Where all, are treated with Dignity and "Everyone" is on a Learning
      Curve!
      Bayonet Collecting at MSN
      http://communities.msn.com/BayonetCollecting//