Re: [BYOR] B-29 weight

  • gt30012002
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2009
      Hi Gary
      My 1980 B29 weighs in at 9,200 to 9,300 lbs, including mast & 6 pad steel cradle.

      Original estimate came from shipper...we lift the boats by crane for launch every year...occasionally the crane operator will tell you what he sees.
    • b29ig
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2009
        I used to move my 1980 B29 with a 1979 Chevy 1 ton dually. The boat (in steel cradel) sat on a 12,000 lb GVW flatbed trailer. I always assumed the boat / cradel was in the 9,000 lb range. The trailer empty weighed 3,000 lbs. So it was at the trailer GVW limit. The Chev was rated to pull-- 12,000 lbs. Those old carb 454's did not have the HP of today's models-- so she was a bit slow up hills-- I was always more worried about stopping. The trailer had electric brakes and the truck's brake controller had a manual override whick provides a bit of confidence when you can work the override and pull the whole rig to a quick stop without touching the truck brake pedal....

        The B29 at over 10' beam requires overwidth permits. I pulled only thru MN & WI-- and each state has different permitting processes and rules. Running across country will provide some challenges in permitting.

        Good Luck!!

        Nick

        --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "gt30012002" <nbailey@...> wrote:

        > Hi Gary
        > My 1980 B29 weighs in at 9,200 to 9,300 lbs, including mast & 6 pad steel cradle.
        >
        > Original estimate came from shipper...we lift the boats by crane for launch every year...occasionally the crane operator will tell you what he sees.

      • On the Sloop elan
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2009
          Thanks for the input - your numbers are close to what I suspected. I heard that there's an agency that will take care of all the permits (for a fee of course). If it's too complicated then I can always take the B-25 or even easier, I have a Sandpiper 565 (18 1/2ft) that tows nicely behind my Jetta. Unless you have a full time berth, then the B-25 is probably the most practical cruising boat in the world anyway.

          To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com
          From: nickelly_p@...
          Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 17:02:21 +0000
          Subject: Re: [BYOR] B-29 weight