Re: [BYOR] Re: propane vs Origo

  • Bruce Forbes
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
      We just launched our B36 in august and have been using the oven/stove constantly ever since.  Michele has won many prizes for her baking and she has no problem with our Origo 6000 at all.  Of course we have had to refill the canister 4 times now but then I got a roast chicken, 2 quiches, an apple pie, peach pie and at least 4 loaves of bread in exchange for the $6 worth of fuel.  The oven took about 15-20 minutes to heat up to 350 which I believe is similar to our oven at home.

      Bruce

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
        We have lived aboard Audrey Paige fulltime for 5 years now and love our
        Origo 2 burner stove with an oven. It takes a little longer to heat up
        and the only place we have had difficulty finding alcohol has been
        Venezuela. We stock up - it's amazing the places you can store things
        on a Bayfield. If you pull out the bottom drawer in the head, we put a
        plastic container down in the bilge that will hold 3 gallons of
        alcohol. We put another 3 in the space under the table, but it will fit
        4 or more. Our best tips on storage areas came from Rick and Carolyn
        on Windborne III!
        I have also baked many a loaf of bread, brownies, etc. Can't say I
        cook many meals in the stove - I prefer when the Captain bbq's!
        Enjoy sailing,
        Allayne Coon

      • Ron Benrey
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
          We bought SeaSaw (a B32C) new, just over 20 years ago. We talked the
          dockyard into swapping our propane stove and tank for an Origo
          two-burner with oven stove. Our primary reason was safety; I didn't like
          the look of the various valves and hoses the factory installed. Back
          then, we didn't have to talk very hard, because Origo stoves cost less
          than their propane cousins.

          The Origo has served us faithfully -- we don't do elaborate cooking on
          the short cruises and day-trips we take. I purchase alcohol at building
          supply shops, because they charge about 50-percent the price per gallon
          at marine supply stores.

          The Origo's best feature is simplicity. There's nothing to worry about,
          other than running out of alcohol.

          Ron
          SeaSaw
          B32C
        • Ben Davidson
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
            We are convinced to give it a good try... One question. My wife is
            concerned that when something boils over or soup spills, the alcohol
            burner will be out of commision and we will have to drain or dry out
            the whole thing for it to work again... Is this the case? any
            problems with moisture from cooking?

            Thanks--- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "allaynecoon"
            <allaynecoon@...> wrote:

            > We have lived aboard Audrey Paige fulltime for 5 years now and love
            our
            > Origo 2 burner stove with an oven. It takes a little longer to
            heat up
            > and the only place we have had difficulty finding alcohol has been
            > Venezuela. We stock up - it's amazing the places you can store
            things
            > on a Bayfield. If you pull out the bottom drawer in the head, we
            put a
            > plastic container down in the bilge that will hold 3 gallons of
            > alcohol. We put another 3 in the space under the table, but it will
            fit
            > 4 or more. Our best tips on storage areas came from Rick and
            Carolyn
            > on Windborne III!
            > I have also baked many a loaf of bread, brownies, etc. Can't say I
            > cook many meals in the stove - I prefer when the Captain bbq's!
            > Enjoy sailing,
            > Allayne Coon

          • Dennis and Allayne Coon
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
              Ben, haven't found boiling over to be a problem at all and, trust me,
              I've had things boil over. Only one problem in five years was that
              after baking the valve didn't completely close on the stove (my
              fault?) and melted the dial before I realized the smell was coming
              from my boat, not the restaurant burning garbage on shore! If
              anything spills, it spills on the stovetop and hasn't gone down into
              the burners. Granted, I'm not going to do a turkey that takes 3 hours
              in my oven, but who wants to heat the boat up that much anyway?
              Well, except when we were in the States, that was another way to keep
              warm. We also have an Origo heater, and it works well also. Kept the
              chill out of the air in the north country.
              Good luck. I'd definitely try it if it's in the boat already, before
              switching to propane. That's why there's West Marine stores all the
              way down the coast!
              Allayne

              wrote:

              > We are convinced to give it a good try... One question. My wife
              is
              > concerned that when something boils over or soup spills, the
              alcohol
              > burner will be out of commision and we will have to drain or dry
              out
              > the whole thing for it to work again... Is this the case? any
              > problems with moisture from cooking?
              >
              > Thanks--- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "allaynecoon"
              > <allaynecoon@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We have lived aboard Audrey Paige fulltime for 5 years now and
              love
              > our
              > > Origo 2 burner stove with an oven. It takes a little longer to
              > heat up
              > > and the only place we have had difficulty finding alcohol has
              been
              > > Venezuela. We stock up - it's amazing the places you can store
              > things
              > > on a Bayfield. If you pull out the bottom drawer in the head, we
              > put a
              > > plastic container down in the bilge that will hold 3 gallons of
              > > alcohol. We put another 3 in the space under the table, but it
              will
              > fit
              > > 4 or more. Our best tips on storage areas came from Rick and
              > Carolyn
              > > on Windborne III!
              > > I have also baked many a loaf of bread, brownies, etc. Can't say
              > > cook many meals in the stove - I prefer when the Captain bbq's!
              > > Enjoy sailing,
              > > Allayne Coon

            • Bruce Forbes
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
                We had a similar incident.  Don't rely on the flap to put out the flame.  We now always open it back up and look to be sure the flame went out.

                wrote:

                > We are convinced to give it a good try... One question. My wife
                is
                > concerned that when something boils over or soup spills, the
                alcohol
                > burner will be out of commision and we will have to drain or dry
                out
                > the whole thing for it to work again... Is this the case? any
                > problems with moisture from cooking?
                >
                > Thanks--- In bayfieldyachts@ yahoogroups. com, "allaynecoon"
                > <allaynecoon@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > We have lived aboard Audrey Paige fulltime for 5 years now and
                love
                > our
                > > Origo 2 burner stove with an oven. It takes a little longer to
                > heat up
                > > and the only place we have had difficulty finding alcohol has
                been
                > > Venezuela. We stock up - it's amazing the places you can store
                > things
                > > on a Bayfield. If you pull out the bottom drawer in the head, we
                > put a
                > > plastic container down in the bilge that will hold 3 gallons of
                > > alcohol. We put another 3 in the space under the table, but it
                will
                > fit
                > > 4 or more. Our best tips on storage areas came from Rick and
                > Carolyn
                > > on Windborne III!
                > > I have also baked many a loaf of bread, brownies, etc. Can't say
                > > cook many meals in the stove - I prefer when the Captain bbq's!
                > > Enjoy sailing,
                > > Allayne Coon

              • Dennis and Allayne Coon
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 4, 2008
                  Bruce, I've learned the hard way as well. I always now lift the bottom
                  of the oven to make sure the flame is out. But, when the flame
                  wouldn't go out the first time, we used water to douse it and had no
                  problem using it the next day.
                  Allayne

                  --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Forbes <ibforbes@...>
                  wrote:

                  > We had a similar incident.  Don't rely on the flap to put out the
                  flame.  We now always open it back up and look to be sure the flame
                  went out.

                • advgoddess
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 4, 2008
                    I have always used a propane stove/oven (came with the boat) but this thread has peaked my interest in an alcohol stove/oven to the point I might consider replacing the Force 10 I use now. But I have one question...where does the alcohol go?

                    Lee Ann
                    "Oh, dolce far niente!"

                    wrote:

                    > We had a similar incident.  Don't rely on the flap to put out the
                    flame.  We now always open it back up and look to be sure the flame
                    went out.

                  • JD Jamieson
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 4, 2008
                      Lee Ann

                      I have propane in my B36. Although I liked the Origo that I had in my 32, I would never go back. Propane is faster, cleaner and less trouble.

                      John

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 4, 2008
                        The two burners and the oven all have individual canisters that need to be filled on a regular basis.  Basically think of it as filling sterno cans.

                        wrote:

                        > We had a similar incident.  Don't rely on the flap to put out the
                        flame.  We now always open it back up and look to be sure the flame
                        went out.

                      • Norbert
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 4, 2008
                          ... and one more vote in favour of Propane.
                          VERITY came with propane, and I had a simple alcohol stove on a
                          smaller previous boat. I don't think I would ever consider alcohol
                          again in exchange for the conveniance, cleanliness and speed of
                          cooking with propane.
                          I live on the boat from april to end oct. and use the stove and/or
                          oven almost daily, yet I am still cooking with fuel from when I
                          filled the tank (reg. BBQ size) in april, that's about $ 14.00 in
                          cost for all summer cooking, and no need to mess with filling of
                          alcohol.
                          The pressure gauge near the tank will warn me if I am getting low of
                          fuel, so little chance of interruptions during cooking which might
                          happen if the alcohol were used up.
                          Also, the 11 lbs. BBQ tank on the stern rail can quickly be connected
                          to the main tank and vice versa if the need would arise.
                          Just my opinion :-)

                          Cheers, Norbert
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                          wrote:

                          > The two burners and the oven all have individual canisters that
                          need to be filled on a regular basis.  Basically think of it as
                          filling sterno cans.

                        • dave
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
                            Wrong question to ask a bunch of sailors!
                            Dave
                            Wind Rose ll

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 5, 2008
                              LOL!!! Good Answer!!!  Forgot who I was addressing the question to!

                              Lee Ann
                              "Oh, dolce far niente!"

                              wrote:

                              > We had a similar incident.  Don't rely on the flap to put out the
                              flame.  We now always open it back up and look to be sure the flame
                              went out.

                            • Floyd F
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                                Just depends if it is neat or grog.