Bayfield 29 Rudder Stuffing Box

  • gt30012002
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008
      Has anyone got any experience maintaining the Bayfield 29 stuffing box

      Is it a standard "packing" type...or does it use a plastic insert?

      It's awkward to get in there, just want to be prepared before I
      contort myself into that small space.

      Norm
    • Cliff Hall
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008
        HI Norm, if I remember correctly ( I replaced the packing in mine about 5-6 years ago) you use regular 1/4" square packing....same as you'd use in your stern tube/stuffing box.
        I agree that it's a bit of a chore to get at the dog-gone thing unless you're a professional contortionist with long thin arms, but with a couple of old cushions or life jackets spread over the projecting parts of the engine and gear housing it can be done in about an hour. Hope this helps.
        Regards,
        Cliff

      • Bruce Forbes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008
          I actually did mine in the water the last time. Very little water came in the boat but what I did notice was typically there should be three rings of packing but I only had room for two.

          Cliff Hall <chall@...> wrote: HI Norm, if I remember correctly ( I replaced the packing in mine about 5-6 years ago) you use regular 1/4" square packing....same as you'd use in your stern tube/stuffing box.