transmission

  • jumbyway
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
      We've had our B36 (1987) for a month now, and are slowly getting to
      know her. We noticed recently that sometimes, when we shift from
      neutral into forward there is a delay before the trnasmission engages.
      Doesn't seem to be all the time and haven't noticed the same thing
      going into reverse. As long as we're idling, the transmission engages
      smoothly, albeit with this delay. A previous owner who sailed her
      extensively has told us that the transmission did that for as long as
      he had the boat. Normal?
      Ralph & Mary, SV Quest
    • gladrags@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
        Mine did that just last year. Up until then, everything was normal, no delay. Then it started getting worse and finally it would be difficult to have it go in gear. It never happened when the transmission was cool, first thing upon using the boat. I talked with an engine mechanic who explained it as such: the transmission pressure plates were worn and were slipping. It worked when the transmission was cold because the fluid was sticky. When it warmed up, it slipped.

        Presently, the transmission has been rebuilt and is awaiting reinstallation on the engine. I am sorry to say that this was the worst possible scenario for us but we are pleased that it occured at the end of the sailing season. Check your fluid levels and look at the quality of the fluid. I had enough fluid but the fluid looked gunky. Yours might be different, suggesting a different problem than mine. The fluid should be at the full line without screwing the cap back in. It is possible that your fluid is low - top off with automatic transmission fluid for marine transmissions and see if that changes anything. It is not normal for there to be a delay. BTW, I too have a Bayfield 36 with the 4JH-TE engine. You may not have the turbo but we probably have the same transmission (KBW-20??). Sorry to bring you this bad news. We had to remove the engine and put it into the main salon to get at the transmission. A lot of fun. Please let me know how you make out.

        The other good thing is with the engine out I got access to stuff behind the engine and got quite a lot of needed things done. The engine is getting cleaned up as well.

        Good luck.
        Tod
        s/v Mandolin B-36

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
          Ralph & Mary;

          This will depend on the type of transmission installed on your boat, however
          if it is a Hurst HBW 150 2R as is installed in my boat, this is Not normal
          if it takes more than a second to engage. It could be that your transmission
          clutches are worn. It also sounds like the previous owner did not rebuild or
          replace the transmission. If or when it fails, you may find that it will Not
          engage into Forward, however it may go into reverse a time or two. A tow by
          another boat will likely align the gears and make it possible for you to
          head to port, however do not rely on Reverse when docking.

          Better to attend to it sooner than later, as you may be in an area where a
          replacement is not available.

          Picture sitting at anchor, on a beautiful day, and it is time to lift anchor
          and head out to your next destination. Engine started, you begin lifting
          anchor, transmission is shifted into forward, but there is nothing.nothing.
          Whoaa.. Drop anchor and investigate..to find that "you are dead in the
          water" tide going out with no wind. Is it worth taking the chance?

          Pull it and overhaul it in the interest of safety.

          Jim H.

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
            I would concur that it is not normal but having been at the rear of the engine a few times believe it may be possible (but difficult ) to pull the tranny without removing the engine...it may require a little leg work and response from others on the board but try to find someone that may have done one to double check...granted the engine removal would make it easier and would be a great opportunity to do a starter rebuild,stuffing box,bilge pumps ,fuel tank replacement etc.if you do pull the engine make sure the cabin sole is covered with 1/4 plywood to avoid and scratches and gouges.
            Look at this as a blessing..better now than down south ...get any work required in a good contract with warranty terms spelled out.
            Dave

          • Kenneth
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
              I have a 1 cylinder Yanmar in my B25. When I put it in forward, it slips and after a bit it goes fully into gear and runs okay. No problem in reverse. Does anyone know where I might begin with troubleshooting? I checked the fluid. It was low. But when I brought it up to full level, it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions before I turn it over to a mechanic?
              Ken
            • Chuck DICKSON
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
                Ken I had similar problems a while back and found that because the shifting cable was not attached at a solid point between the shift lever and the shift point on the transmission it did something the same.. I believe there is an attachment point on the engine where the cable should be anchored.If it's no anchored there is too much play to shift well. I also found that because of "play" where the shift lever was mounted it didn't want to shift properly.. 2 spots to look at before you get carried away.

                Chuck
                SilverCloud
                '88 B25 Yanmar 1GM10
                Ride to Live

                Live to Sail

                I have a 1 cylinder Yanmar in my B25. When I put it in forward, it slips and after a bit it goes fully into gear and runs okay. No problem in reverse. Does anyone know where I might begin

              • Benoit Jean
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
                  Hi Ken,
                  I had similar problem.  The clutch remote control cable may need some adjustment .  On mine the clutch cable reaches the engine in the back and 2 screws need to be loosened to make the adjustment.  A bit like adjusting a break cable on a bicycle.  I use a small mirror to help me see what I am doing.      I paid nearly $350 to learn about this adjustment.  I had to readjust it twice since.
                  Somebody else may want to confirm or comment...  I am no great expert.
                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
                    There is a problem with the free space when you use a Yanmar 1GM.  In some B25's the lever "slides" along the floor of the cockpit and gets hindered in its movements.  The 1GM is a vertical engine, older Yanmar models were horizontal and did not have this problem as there is enough space above it.  To remedy the problem: file the troubled spot gently.