RE: [BYOR] NorSea 27 / B-25 offshore

  • On the Sloop elan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      A NorSea 27 is one of those "ideal" trailerable boats for a single hander - the B-29 is on my list only because I've always liked the 25. I've never actually been on a B-29 so it may turn out to be a disappointment. Here is my Bayfield concern (forget the hull in two halves) - when we lifted my B-25 last fall it came in at almost 5,000 pounds - so you think "great" 1,500 pounds of extra fibreglass" BUT, if the weight of the ballast is a known factor then is all that extra weight below the waterline or above - how is it distributed because an extra 1,500 pounds unequally divided above or below the waterline will certainly effect the stability factor (1.9) and thereby offshore usefulness of the boat.
      But it's probably all a moot point for me - I have my beautiful rough tough go anywhere Countess 33 at my dock in the Bahamas and the boat market is the worse I've seen in a decade so, I'll probably own my 33 and my 25 and that's that. I love the concept of hooking her up and heading for Cabo or the North Channel or the Chesapeake. I guess a lot of people like to do the same thing over and over and over but it seems that life is just too short - I may be old but there is still a horizon out there with neat things just beyond. There is a NorSea 27 in Bermuda that is just begging me to own her but until my 33 leaves home .. you know the story.

      To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.comFrom: thegarniers@...: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:32:55 -0800Subject: RE: [BYOR] NorSea 27

      Gary/StanI recall seeing for the first time a Nor Sea 27 at the Annapolis boat show in 1977. We had just purchased our B25 6 months earlier and were on our way south with her. If we had some extra cash at the time we would have traded in Hobbit for the Nor Sea no problem.The Nor Sea 27 is a sweet little boat, the aft cabin is a big plus along with only drawing 3.5 feet. Sailed beside one on L Erie once, same sails up and with her longer water line she pulled ahead steadily. Met Wayne Carpenter while he was sailing around with his family in the Virgin Islands and later bought his book. (The voyage of Kristina) He sailed from California to Nova Scotia with his wife two daughters and his mother-in-law!! Enjoy your boat Stan and Gary not to bash the Bayfield but if you enjoy the aft cabin idea then maybe instead of your B29 quest the Nor Sea is for you.If I had not bought an old Tahiti Ketch to work on the Nor Sea would be on my short list.JamieOn the Sloop elan <sloopelan@...> wrote:Stan - thanks for your input - this is my 3rd B-25 and I love them because they are so easy to trailer. I also think they are probably (pound for pound - dollar for dollar) the best value around. I also have a Countess 33 (1990 center cockpit - pilot house sloop) in the Bahamas that is a true blue water boat - her sister (one serial number older) just started her third single handed circumnavigation. My Countess is on ebay right now with "will take NorSea 27 or Bayfield 29 as part payment". Since I'm no longer planning to go around the globe - I want something handy and easy to transport (and yes, I know NorSea's have even gone around via Cape Horn). To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.comFrom: ssnod@...: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:52:31 -0800Subject: Re: [BYOR] hull in 2 halvesI had a Bayfield 25. A great boat that I used a lot and it taught me a lot too. The Bayfield is classified as useful to 25 miles of shore. I think this is an insurance limit. I had planned on taking a boat much farther and started looking more at "Blue" water boats. I ended up selling the Bayfield and buying a Nor Sea 27. It is a one piece hull which appealed to me. Stan----- Original Message ----From: James Gienko <cptnlgl@...>To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.comSent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:42:01 PMSubject: RE: [BYOR] hull in 2 halvesAll the bayfields were built in 2 halves (most of the really great boats are). The reason is the type of hull to deck joint used. If a standard "shoe box" joint is used (catalina's hunters, etc), there is no need to build the boat in 2 halves, but Bayfield used the much stronger joint which is similiar to a locking type flange joint that if not built in halves, you could not get the finish hull out of the mold due to that flange.Don't worry, the hull is stronger than you think.JimOn the Sloop elan <sloopelan@hotmail. com> wrote:Off group - a couple of us have been discussing what needs to be done to make a B-25 "offshore capable" - just last week we were talking about the "two halves" issue - has anyone ever experienced a failure or problem with the bonding of one side of the hull to the other?I only posted this question because I see the member (read post below) with a B-29 noticed that his two halves weren't bonded in the are of his bowsprit.To: bayfieldyachts@ yahoogroups. comFrom: mk_coll@yahoo. caDate: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:56:48 +0000Subject: [BYOR] BowspritOn my B29, I have removed the bowsprit to refinish / repair over the winter. Its the extended version.I found the centerspar to be two laminates, the upper assumed to be teak, the lower being a soft wood, stained to match. From info on the group i assume this is Sitka spruce.This was found to be rotted at the aft end, where it is shaped tomatch the hull, shaped is being kind asit looked like it was chewed out.I found that the forward section, from the plate that clamps the platform and pulpit bases was delaminated, also the port side platform was split from the centerspar.Repair was made by using a hacksaw blade to remove old glue from the joint and injecting epoxy, with a couple of fasteners for good measure. the aft end rot was cut away and a new section fitted up to the slot for the aft clamping strips. This was made alittle longer, fitted to be a better fit to the clamps, increasing the thickness between the cut out and the radius section for thehull. On removal thiswas found to be paper thin.The section was fixed in with epoxy and the end grains sealed.The platforms are made up of teak, glued and screwed from the center out, the joint to the center spar being glue and the clamping strips, i used dowels to improve the joint.I was suprised to find that only four 1/4 inch bolts attach it to the bow, moresuprised that the two halves of the hull were not joined or sealed in this area.Thats enough for a first post.Regards to all Bayfielders. Mike. ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]------------ --------- --------- ---Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]__________________________________________________________Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] __________________________________________________________[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Jack Coffey
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        What is the price range of a NorSea 27? Is the one in
        Bermuda listed on the internet? I'd like to read about
        it. Jack.
> [...]

        > was fixed in with epoxy and the end grains
        > sealed.The platforms are made up of teak, glued and
        > screwed from the center out, the joint to the center
        > spar being glue and the clamping strips, i used
        > dowels to improve the joint.I was suprised to find
        > that only four 1/4 inch bolts attach it to the bow,
        > moresuprised that the two halves of the hull were
        > not joined or sealed in this area.Thats enough for a
        > first post.Regards to all Bayfielders. Mike.
        > message have been

        removed]__________________________________________________________Be
        > a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with
        > Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

        > removed]

        > portions of this message have been removed][Non-text
        > portions of this message have been removed]

        JACK, S/V SPIRIT OF ERIN (45-50'-58"N;60-12'-03"W)

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
          The first ones would be 1977 and they are still being built so prices range far and wide. Just google NorSea 27 and all the news is there

          To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.comFrom: spiritoferin@...: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:34:39 -0800Subject: RE: [BYOR] NorSea 27 / B-25 offshore

          What is the price range of a NorSea 27? Is the one inBermuda listed on the internet? I'd like to read aboutit. Jack.--- On the Sloop elan <sloopelan@...> wrote:> > A NorSea 27 is one of those "ideal" trailerable> boats for a single hander - the B-29 is on my list> only because I've always liked the 25. I've never> actually been on a B-29 so it may turn out to be a> disappointment. Here is my Bayfield concern (forget> the hull in two halves) - when we lifted my B-25> last fall it came in at almost 5,000 pounds - so you> think "great" 1,500 pounds of extra fibreglass" BUT,> if the weight of the ballast is a known factor then> is all that extra weight below the waterline or> above - how is it distributed because an extra 1,500> pounds unequally divided above or below the> waterline will certainly effect the stability factor> (1.9) and thereby offshore usefulness of the boat. > But it's probably all a moot point for me - I have> my beautiful rough tough go anywhere Countess 33 at> my dock in the Bahamas and the boat market is the> worse I've seen in a decade so, I'll probably own my> 33 and my 25 and that's that. I love the concept of> hooking her up and heading for Cabo or the North> Channel or the Chesapeake. I guess a lot of people> like to do the same thing over and over and over but> it seems that life is just too short - I may be old> but there is still a horizon out there with neat> things just beyond. There is a NorSea 27 in Bermuda> that is just begging me to own her but until my 33> leaves home .. you know the story.> > > To: bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.comFrom:> thegarniers@...: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:32:55> -0800Subject: RE: [BYOR] NorSea 27> > > > > Gary/StanI recall seeing for the first time a Nor> Sea 27 at the Annapolis boat show in 1977. We had> just purchased our B25 6 months earlier and were on> our way south with her. If we had some extra cash at> the time we would have traded in Hobbit for the Nor> Sea no problem.The Nor Sea 27 is a sweet little> boat, the aft cabin is a big plus along with only> drawing 3.5 feet. Sailed beside one on L Erie once,> same sails up and with her longer water line she> pulled ahead steadily. Met Wayne Carpenter while he> was sailing around with his family in the Virgin> Islands and later bought his book. (The voyage of> Kristina) He sailed from California to Nova Scotia> with his wife two daughters and his mother-in-law!!> Enjoy your boat Stan and Gary not to bash the> Bayfield but if you enjoy the aft cabin idea then> maybe instead of your B29 quest the Nor Sea is for> you.If I had not bought an old Tahiti Ketch to work> on the Nor Sea would be on my short list.JamieOn the> Sloop elan <sloopelan@...> wrote:Stan -> thanks for your input - this is my 3rd B-25 and I> love them because they are so easy to trailer. I> also think they are probably (pound for pound -> dollar for dollar) the best value around. I also> have a Countess 33 (1990 center cockpit - pilot> house sloop) in the Bahamas that is a true blue> water boat - her sister (one serial number older)> just started her third single handed> circumnavigation. My Countess is on ebay right now> with "will take NorSea 27 or Bayfield 29 as part> payment". Since I'm no longer planning to go around> the globe - I want something handy and easy to> transport (and yes, I know NorSea's have even gone> around via Cape Horn). To:> bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.comFrom:> ssnod@...: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:52:31> -0800Subject: Re: [BYOR] hull in 2 halvesI had a> Bayfield 25. A great boat that I used a lot and it> taught me a lot too. The Bayfield is classified as> useful to 25 miles of shore. I think this is an> insurance limit. I had planned on taking a boat much> farther and started looking more at "Blue" water> boats. I ended up selling the Bayfield and buying a> Nor Sea 27. It is a one piece hull which appealed to> me. Stan----- Original Message ----From: James> Gienko <cptnlgl@...>To:> bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.comSent: Wednesday,> January 30, 2008 1:42:01 PMSubject: RE: [BYOR] hull> in 2 halvesAll the bayfields were built in 2 halves> (most of the really great boats are). The reason is> the type of hull to deck joint used. If a standard> "shoe box" joint is used (catalina's hunters, etc),> there is no need to build the boat in 2 halves, but> Bayfield used the much stronger joint which is> similiar to a locking type flange joint that if not> built in halves, you could not get the finish hull> out of the mold due to that flange.Don't worry, the> hull is stronger than you think.JimOn the Sloop elan> <sloopelan@hotmail. com> wrote:Off group - a couple> of us have been discussing what needs to be done to> make a B-25 "offshore capable" - just last week we> were talking about the "two halves" issue - has> anyone ever experienced a failure or problem with> the bonding of one side of the hull to the other?I> only posted this question because I see the member> (read post below) with a B-29 noticed that his two> halves weren't bonded in the are of his bowsprit.To:> bayfieldyachts@ yahoogroups. comFrom: mk_coll@yahoo.> caDate: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:56:48 +0000Subject:> [BYOR] BowspritOn my B29, I have removed the> bowsprit to refinish / repair over the winter. Its> the extended version.I found the centerspar to be> two laminates, the upper assumed to be teak, the> lower being a soft wood, stained to match. From info> on the group i assume this is Sitka spruce.This was> found to be rotted at the aft end, where it is> shaped tomatch the hull, shaped is being kind asit> looked like it was chewed out.I found that the> forward section, from the plate that clamps the> platform and pulpit bases was delaminated, also the> port side platform was split from the> centerspar.Repair was made by using a hacksaw blade> to remove old glue from the joint and injecting> epoxy, with a couple of fasteners for good measure.> the aft end rot was cut away and a new section> fitted up to the slot for the aft clamping strips.> This was made alittle longer, fitted to be a better> fit to the clamps, increasing the thickness between> the cut out and the radius section for thehull. On> removal thiswas found to be paper thin.The section> was fixed in with epoxy and the end grains> sealed.The platforms are made up of teak, glued and> screwed from the center out, the joint to the center> spar being glue and the clamping strips, i used> dowels to improve the joint.I was suprised to find> that only four 1/4 inch bolts attach it to the bow,> moresuprised that the two halves of the hull were> not joined or sealed in this area.Thats enough for a> first post.Regards to all Bayfielders. Mike.> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________> _________ _[Non-text portions of this message have> been removed]------------ --------- --------- ---Be> a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with> Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.[Non-text portions of this> message have been>removed]__________________________________________________________Be> a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with> Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.>http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> [Non-text portions of this message have been> removed]>__________________________________________________________[Non-text> portions of this message have been removed][Non-text> portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > >__________________________________________________________> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been> removed]> > JACK, S/V SPIRIT OF ERIN (45-50'-58"N;60-12'-03"W)__________________________________________________________Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ