Re: [BYOR] Cockpit cushions

  • bob green
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      I am looking to add cockpit cushions to my b40, check JSI as they have info regarding foam and or c cushions.

      dave <wind_rose_2@...> wrote: I am currently fabricating a new set of cockpit cushions out of vinyl and would like to know if anyone on the forum has knowledge of who did the original upholstery for the boats. l would like information on the closed cell foam used in their construction..density etc.
      Dave
      PS
      HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    • Brenda
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
        We met the folks from Bottom Siders at a marine show and they made us a set
        for our 32C which came out great and they are in pieces so they pull up and
        stow easy.

        Ours were gone when we purchased the boat so I can't help you on the
        detailed info of originals but can say that we are very happy with the
        Bottom Siders we received.

        They are white with a nice blue trim that matches the paint and don't stick
        to your bare legs, are soft and provide nice cushion. Good luck.

        Tim and Brenda - Genesis

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
          Dave,

          I have no idea who made my cockpit cushions, but after more than 15
          yrs they are almost like new. The one thing you may want to consider
          while you are in the process is to make one extra cushion that fits
          perfectly on the companionway-step as in the case of the B-36 that
          makes one extra seat in the cockpit.
          This cushion then also serves the dual purpose of becoming an
          excellent backrest when sitting in the cockpit leaning against the
          cabin or sides.
          In my case, it also fits perfectly on the engine cover when in need
          of an extra seat inside, as I have removed the traditional narrow
          step and changed to a more useful arrangement in form of a flip-up
          step which at the same time eliminates the need of un-screwing the
          original step to gain access to the engine.
          Just a thought, have fun and Happy New year from the Algarve.
          Norbert (B-36 Verity)

          --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda" <breneh@...> wrote:

          > We met the folks from Bottom Siders at a marine show and they made
          us a set
          > for our 32C which came out great and they are in pieces so they
          pull up and
          > stow easy.
          >
          > Ours were gone when we purchased the boat so I can't help you on the
          > detailed info of originals but can say that we are very happy with
          the
          > Bottom Siders we received.
          >
          > They are white with a nice blue trim that matches the paint and
          don't stick
          > to your bare legs, are soft and provide nice cushion. Good luck.
          >
          > Tim and Brenda - Genesis
          >

          > _____

        • dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
            I already had that cushion Norbert and use it most often when l have to lay atop the motor to check things that are dark and buried.
            you're likin Portugal l see.
            Dave

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2009
              Hi,

              I'm trying to locate an inexpensive alternative for cockpit cushions.

              I've seen vinyl-coated closed-cell foam cushions for sail at bottomsiders and ccushions, but surely you don't have to pay those kind of prices.

              Anyone know where to buy close cell foam?

              -Paul
            • dave
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2009
                I make cushions using closed cell foam with vinyl fabric covers and believe me they are quite time consuming to fabricate.
                Cushions for my 36 Bayfield consist of 8 pieces and would run around $900 Cdn. depending on fabric, piping etc.and l will fabricate from patterns specific to your boat.
                The softsiders are rather non descript in my opinion and will break down when exposed to Sun screen / insect repellents.
                With custom fabricated cushions you have much more choice as to colours etc..
                Dave

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2009
                  Paul:

                  Alot depends upon your sewing skills and time constraints. If you want to make some cockpit cushions for your boat to avoid paying the cost of custom, why not buy closed cell foam from a camping supply store such as Campmore. If you buy a foam mat for under your sleeping bag and make a case out of sunbrella or like fabric from an on-line fabric source you will get a cushion that is either passable in quality or good looking, depending upon your skills with the sewing machine. I think it is very time consuming but it isn't very complicated, just look at other people's designs and see what works best for your needs.

                  Closed cell foam is good for water proof cushions that need to withstand the elements but are uncomfortable to sit on. Open cell foam is more comfy but can degrade if left in the rain. I prefer to have the open cell and remember to put them inside if rain threatens. Then we use the throwable floatation cushions to protect out tushes. That, however, is according to your taste.

                  Those are a couple of suggestions - think about your options; I'm sure that there are many paths.

                  Tod

                • lisaindecision@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2009
                    Paul,
                    You can get your supplies from "Sailrite" a company specializing in boat materials?to ?make your own cushions and many other boat canvas needs. They sell closed cell foam and?Sunbrella ?fabric. I suggest you make a pattern using clear plastic and a marker to draw the outline of the seats. Allow extra fabric for seams and sides but for the bottom of the cushion use Pfhisotex a mess product which allows the cushions to breath. You can put?zippers in the back so if the cushions get wet the foam can be removed and dried out.?Just for your information you may not want to take on a project like this but it really isn't that hard. There is a very good book you can buy on canvas projects.
                    Lisa
                    Otter, Bayfield 32
                    Cape Haze,FL

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 23, 2009
                      Hello: I want to recommend C-Cushions Inc. This is a company from rockport texas that makes vinyl coated closed cell cockpit cushions. We replaced ours with these 4 years ago, This are the best cushions I have ever used. No seams, no zippers to let water in, and the foam is similar to memory foam EXCELLENT!!!!!We had ours made to match the color of our hull, I have received numerous compliments, well worth the money!!!! FELIX B25 "Moonillusion"