Re: [BYOR] B25 Mast Stepping

  • jamie garnier
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
      Here's my 2 cents, I have always used two hands to raise and lower the mast, once my pregnant wife helped( she's a trooper). I will stand on the stern and rest the mast on my shoulders waiting for my wife to attach the bolt at the step. She will come back to the cockpit and stand with one foot on the starboard locker the other on the port leaning against the companionway for support. As she now takes the full weight of the mast on her shoulders, while I move on deck. She pushes up the mast and I pull and hold. She moves up beside me and we can walk it up the rest. She can then move forward to put the pin the forstay. Have always done this in a calm spot on the water with shrouds attached. The mast wants to wander port and starboard on the bottom half of its arc, because the chain plates are aft of the mast step. I do not think one person can do the job safely.

      Jamie

      jamie

    • Ralph
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, Des Cameron <descameron@y...>
        wrote:

        Hi Dave,
        Please include me in the forwarding also. I have a B-25 and even
        though I no plans of lowering the mast any time soon. It seems like
        it would be good to know how, just in case....

        Thanks, Ralph

        > Hi Dave,
        > I would love to see that Set-up and especially the way you rig the
        bridle. Would you kindly include me in the forwarding of the
        pictures. I started putting something together when I had the 25 but
        4 foot-itus interrupted the project.