Re: [BYOR] weather helm...

  • grbest@cox.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
      WHO MADE YOUR LOOSE FOOTED MAIN? AND HOW DO YOU FLATTEN IT-WHAT SYSTEM OF BLOCKS ETC DO YOU USE? I AM GETTING A LOOSE FOOTED MAIN THIS FALL FOR NEXT SEASON, ALSO WITH FULL BATTENS. GBEST
      ---- Robert Brunelle <bbrunelle@...> wrote:
      > Scott:
      >
      > When I first bought my b25 I had a heck of a time with weather helm. No
      > amount of fiddling with the trim and the rig, using what skill I had
      > and the help of more knowlegeable sailors seemed to make it go away.
      >
      > However, when I replaced the original main sail with a new one (full
      > battens and loose footed) the problem cured itself - just like magic. I
      > now have great control over the sail shape. I can flatten the sail like
      > a board in higher wind or let it belly out in a drifter, and even in 25
      > knots of apparent wind I can trim to hands off control on a beat (except
      > in the gusts) without having to feather the main.
      >
      > That may not be your problem but it is worth thinking about.
      >
      > Bob
      > B-25 Kingfisher.
      >
      > barnaclesailor wrote:
      >
      > > I am having one hell of a time with weather helm on ny B-25, I have
      > > tried all the normal methods of curing this and still am fighting
      > > this, is there somthing I am missing ??
      > >
      > > Any help is appreciated.
      > >
      > > Regards, Scott

    • Robert Brunelle
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
        The main was made by North Sails - Vancouver B.C. (my contact was Dave
        Miller).

        To flatten the sail the outhaul clew is attached to a line that runs to
        a turning block attached to the aft end of the boom - then led forward
        to the mast end to another turning block and then back to a jam cleat
        about mid boom. This means that you can stand near the companion way
        looking forward to trim.

        There is no mechanical advantage in the system - but it seems to work
        fine. In my previous boat where the main was not loose footed but held
        by the bolt rope in the boom track - I had to add a couple more blocks
        to get some mechanical advantage in order to get the sail tight.

        grbest@... wrote:

        >WHO MADE YOUR LOOSE FOOTED MAIN? AND HOW DO YOU FLATTEN IT-WHAT SYSTEM OF BLOCKS ETC DO YOU USE? I AM GETTING A LOOSE FOOTED MAIN THIS FALL FOR NEXT SEASON, ALSO WITH FULL BATTENS. GBEST
        >---- Robert Brunelle <bbrunelle@...> wrote:
        >

        >>Scott:
        >>
        >>When I first bought my b25 I had a heck of a time with weather helm. No
        >>amount of fiddling with the trim and the rig, using what skill I had
        >>and the help of more knowlegeable sailors seemed to make it go away.
        >>
        >>However, when I replaced the original main sail with a new one (full
        >>battens and loose footed) the problem cured itself - just like magic. I
        >>now have great control over the sail shape. I can flatten the sail like
        >>a board in higher wind or let it belly out in a drifter, and even in 25
        >>knots of apparent wind I can trim to hands off control on a beat (except
        >>in the gusts) without having to feather the main.
        >>
        >>That may not be your problem but it is worth thinking about.
        >>
        >>Bob
        >>B-25 Kingfisher.
        >>
        >>barnaclesailor wrote:
        >>

        >>>I am having one hell of a time with weather helm on ny B-25, I have
        >>>tried all the normal methods of curing this and still am fighting
        >>>this, is there somthing I am missing ??
        >>>
        >>>Any help is appreciated.
        >>>
        >>>Regards, Scott

      • ELR
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
          In addition to flattening the main by tensioning the clew outhaul, you can also apply more tension to the luff with the main halyard, the main cunningham and the boom vang or any combination of them. If you don't have the mechanical advantage to flatten under load, you can always luff the sail and usually that will allow you to tension the sail as you'd like.

          As a very general rule, as apparent wind speed rises and apparent wind angle decreases, more tension is needed to flatten the sail, be it jib or main.