Boat Trailer Question

  • jdlt166 <jdlt166@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi,

      I am looking at a Bayfield 25 that does not include a good
      over-the-road trailer. I have a trailer from my Spirit 23
      manufactuered by Royal. I would like to convert this to a 2 axle
      trailer and use it for the Bayfield. Does anyone know if Royal is
      still around, can it be converted?

      Thanks
    • Des Cameron
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
        Hi,
        Your question about refurbishing a single axle trailer. I would not even think about it. If it has been manufactured by a responsible company it would only be designed for a certain payload and this should be detailed on a plate attached to the trailer. If the designed weight covers the weight of the B25 (+/- 6,000 lbs) you are ok. If not the thickness of the steel could be too thin for the added weight and adding another axle will not help. Tongue weight/design also comes into play. I would take the trailer to a recognised weld shop and ask thier advice and judge accordingly.
        Cheers. Des.
        "jdlt166 <jdlt166@...>" <jdlt166@...> wrote:Hi,

        I am looking at a Bayfield 25 that does not include a good
        over-the-road trailer. I have a trailer from my Spirit 23
        manufactuered by Royal. I would like to convert this to a 2 axle
        trailer and use it for the Bayfield. Does anyone know if Royal is
        still around, can it be converted?

        Thanks

      • George Hirsch
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          Several years ago, I purchased a used tandem axle power boat trailer and had
          it modified for use with the Bayfield 23. Since then I have spent hundreds
          on it to try to get it "just right". I really don't recommend this
          approach. I agree with Des, talk to a reputable welder/manufacturer whom
          you trust first, but then seriously consider either 1) a new custom job
          (lots of great leads on this list) 2) start with a good tandem and have it
          done right the first time or, 3) consider leaving it on a cradle and have
          the cradle hauled to your desired location on a flat deck.
          I wish I had chosen option # 1 at the start!
          George