Re: ottawa river sailing

  • Edward Billing
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2007
      --- In bayfieldyachts@yahoogroups.com, "dpayne747" <dpayne747@...>
      wrote:

      > I may be relocated to ottawa from the west coast and was wondering
      > if there were any members who sail there. I was wondering in
      > particular what to what extremes the current typically runs and
      does
      > it pose any particular challenges that I should be aware of. Any
      > comments on the saling community in general would be appreciated s
      > well
      >

      > thanks in advance
      >
      > Darren Payne

      Hi Darren we sail a Bayfield 32 out of Collins Bay in Kingston over
      half of our membership is from Ottawa which is about an hour from
      Ottawa. Kingston offers the best fresh water sailing in Canada as
      the gateway to the thousand Islands and Lake Ontario for the serious
      Cruiser. would strongly recommend you look at not sailing on the
      Ottawa River as you are very limited to what you can do. hope this
      helps cheers Ed and Jo 'Prospero' http://www.collinsb aymarina.com/
      Edward & Joanne Billing
      752 Laidlaw Crescent
      Kingston Ont K7M-5M5
      Home (613) 389-9868
    • Norm Rosolen
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
        hi darren

        i'm in ottawa and there's lots of water around here

        i sail out of the rockcliffe yacht club in a b25... we
        are located on the lower part of the river to the east
        of the city (ie. below the chaudiere falls /
        parliament) and are a co-op club with a bit of a
        waiting list ... there's not much on it but see
        http://ryc.ca/ for more info

        i've also sailed on lac deschenes on the upper river
        to the west of the city with the ottawa sailing
        school's boat sharing program - see
        http://www.boattraining.com/ ... the georgian bay
        sailing club out of aylmer quebec on lac deschenes
        also has boat sharing - http://www.cnbg.org/Main_e.htm

        the comments i've read on this post are good ... the
        1000 islands & lake ontario including kingston,
        gananoque etc. have much more and better sailing
        grounds and are anything from 1 to 2 hours away ...
        you need to shop around cause there are a lot of clubs
        & marinas

        the sailing on lac deschenes (above the falls) is
        better than below where i sail from with more clubs
        and more racing

        the lower river has a current of about 1 knot which is
        not a big problem - winds are usually more of a
        concern.. on the lower part you have sailing access
        to montreal (lac st louis) with one really big lock at
        the carrillon dam ... and then can go down the st.
        lawrence to newfoundland or richileau river to lac
        champlain in the states then to new york

        or, with mast down, you can do the rideau canal to
        kingston (5 days about) - see my own website
        http://ca.geocities.com/skipper_norm/1000_islands.html

        some good info on the ottawa river sailing page -
        http://sailquest.com/ottawa/

        norm

        --- dpayne747 <dpayne747@...> wrote:

        > I may be relocated to ottawa from the west coast and
        > was wondering
        > if there were any members who sail there. I was
        > wondering in
        > particular what to what extremes the current
        > typically runs and does
        > it pose any particular challenges that I should be
        > aware of. Any
        > comments on the saling community in general would be
        > appreciated s
        > well
        >

        > thanks in advance
        >
        > Darren Payne

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jim Bissell
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
          Hi Darren
          We live in Ottawa (previously North Vancouver) and sail our Bayfield 36 out of Trident Yacht Club between Gananoque and Kingston on the Saint Lawrence. If you are considering sailing in the Ottawa area, you should take a close look at the marinas and clubs in the Kingston-Gananoque area. It is great sailing, especially if you like to cruise because of the access to Lake Ontario as well as the Thosuand Islands. It takes about an hour and three quarters to drive there from Ottawa so you don't slip out just for an evening cruise but I do recommend it.
          Jim Bissell - Madcap