Replacing the cutlass bearing

  • Bruce & Michele
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      I have a 1986 Bayfield 29 and during a recent survey I was told I
      needed to replace the cutlass bearing this year. I was looking at it
      and at first it looked like I just slide off the prop and remove the
      bearing but on closer inspection I don't think there is room to just
      remove the prop without removing the rudder first. Has anyone had any
      experience with what the procedure is?

      Bruce
    • Ron Benrey
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
        We had to replace the cutlass bearing on our B-32 a couple of years ago. You are right... you must drop the rudder to remove the prop and get at the bearing.

        This is a fairly elaborate procedure on a B-32, because dropping the rudder requires dismantling the steering system.

        Once the rudder is off, you can get at the bearing by undoing a set screw.

        Ron Benrey
        I have a 1986 Bayfield 29 and during a recent survey I was told I
        needed to replace the cutlass bearing this year.  I was looking at it
        and at first it looked like I just slide off the prop and remove the
        bearing but on closer inspection I don't think there is room to just
        remove the prop without removing the rudder first.  Has anyone had any
        experience with what the procedure is?

        Bruce

        this group, send an email to:

      • dbieman@tcc.on.ca
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
          We did ours on our 29 a couple of years ago - we didn't drop the
          rudder, we pulled the engine. We were doing some other things at the
          time. However, while we were at it, we shortened the shaft just
          enough that now we could change the prop without removing the rudder
          or the engine!

          --- In bayfieldyachts@y..., "Bruce & Michele" <ibforbes@h...>