Re: [BYOR] A Sailors Guide to the Erie Canal Video

  • Mike Steere
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hi George...

      We watched the Erie Canal film last night... It was nicely done. Our only experience locking through has been in Sault Ste. Marie. It seems to be the same drill. Do you have any recommendations on where to un=step?

      Thanks
      Mike

      >>> George Hirsch <b32george@...> 2/14/2007 5:53 PM >>>

      Hello;

      I had mentioned to some about a really pleasant video (perfect for those long cold nights, for us Northerners) I received. The shock was that I was in it. August 2004 I was asked some questions dockside in Tonowanda on my return from 2 weeks on the canal. I had forgotten all about it!

      Anyways, $29.95 US will get it to you shipping and handling included! Here is the website to order it from:

      www.modernmediaee.com

      Hope it puts smiles on your faces too!

      George

    • George Hirsch
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
        Hello Mike;

        Nice to hear from you. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the video. I was hoping to do some searching on the Canadian side, but so far I only know of one place. I'll have to look up the name, but he is on the Canal, just before the first bridge you have to go under. Let it suffice to say that you cannot put it off any longer, if you got that far with the stick up. He does an alright job, albeit very fast. He lets you do all of the dirty work, then he lifts it out with his ancient home-made truck-bed mounted crane. But it works. It set us back $150. He has some rate per foot of mast. Seems pretty standard. Everyone is the same (from my conversations). One guy heading south had his radar damaged by this guy. You have to be there, and talk. It's your boat, your problem. You need to be "hands on" during the process.

        There really doesn't seem to be anyone else, though.

        If you have ordered the New York State Canal System guide book, look in there. Its right as you turn onto the canal from the Niagara River in North Tonawanda. He is a marina with fuel. You have just passed an antique rail spinning bridge (turns to let boats pass; kinda cool) and he's on the north shore.

        If you don't have that guide yet, you MUST order it. It's great. That's where I got his name and phone number from. I called ahead, but there's really no need. He also let us stay there over night, no charge, after we de-masted. Its a great (GREAT) place to provision. There is a really big Tops grocery store (pronounced "Taps" in New York) within walking distance. There's lots of history info there on the Erie Barge Canal, too.

        I've typed too much. Sorry. I just get excited. Sounds like Sandy and I may do it again this year just for fun.

        Hope this helps

        Regards
        George

        We watched the Erie Canal film last night... It was nicely done. Our only experience locking through has been in Sault Ste. Marie. It seems to be the same drill. Do you have any recommendations on where to un=step?

        Thanks

        Mike

        >>> George Hirsch <b32george@yahoo. ca> 2/14/2007 5:53 PM >>>

        Hello;

        I had mentioned to some about a really pleasant video (perfect for those long cold nights, for us Northerners) I received. The shock was that I was in it. August 2004 I was asked some questions dockside in Tonowanda on my return from 2 weeks on the canal. I had forgotten all about it!

        Anyways, $29.95 US will get it to you shipping and handling included! Here is the website to order it from:

        www.modernmediaee. com

        Hope it puts smiles on your faces too!

        George

        ------------ --------- --------- ---