Re: B29 tiller steering

  • scottgregory@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2001
      Kevin;

      --- In bayfieldyachts@y..., "Kevin" <kevinbennet@s...> wrote:
      > All of the B29s I have looked for sale have wheel steering.
      Therefore
      > I have not seen the tiller option. The tiller would be my first
      > choice since it would be easier for the helmsman to avoid the
      > traveller and the low boom.
      >
      > If you have a tiller can share your experience....likes/dislikes
      etc.

      I have an 1982 B29 "Discovery". It is the 'small' bowsprit version
      (I think they added the length in 1983), and I have a tiller. I
      cannot compare to the wheel version, as I have not sailed on one.

      Standard tiller things, you can bungee it out of the way at dock, or
      if you are energetic, you can remove it from the rudder head for more
      cockpit space.

      It has a pretty big sweep. So you may tend to bang knees of
      passengers/crew. I find that I have to ask people to either sit all
      the way forward when tacking/gybing, or if they are sitting with
      their legs up on the seats, they are ok.

      I don't (yet) have an auto-pilot, so cannot comment on their
      operation.
      Good Luck
      sdg