Rudder Problem

  • Mac
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 11:02 AM
      With the shaft going into the rudder on my B-25 showing looseness from the
      rudder I have been thinking about the welds from the rudder shaft to the
      tabs going bad. I read something about this a while back in a boat magazine.
      I was thinking that the rudder was made from 2 sides that are fiber glassed
      together with the shaft with some tabs welded to it inside. My concern is
      that if I cut around the edge of the rudder will the 2 sides come apart or
      will I have something, fiberglass, plastic foam or some other unknown
      material holding the 2 sides together? My other thought was to cut open one
      side where the shaft is to see what I will be into. Cutting the sides apart,
      to me, seems like the best way as I can rejoin them with fiberglass mating.
      I was hoping that maybe someone had their Bayfield rudder apart and some
      more information. Not that I want anyone to have rudder problems. I never
      worried about a broken rudder on my old sailboat as it was varnished
      hardwood hung on the stern and if I had a problem I could steer with my
      outboard. In all the years I had the boat I had the tiller crack were it
      went into a rectangular hole in the top of the rudder. That was when I found
      I could use the outboard to get back to the dock. I made a repair by using
      1/4 inch aluminum stock to reinforce the tiller on both sides where it went
      into the rudder. My step-son has the boat now and it is still with my
      repaired tiller. I did the repair back in the mid 1970's.

      Does anyone have knowledge of how or the best way to take the Bayfield
      rudder apart for repairs?

      Thanks for any help,

      Mac McCoy

      B-25 "Real McCoy Too"