Re: [BYOR] Hello!

  • sailtahiti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
      Have any B29 owners upgraded their electrical system, e.g. batteries, electric panel, etc.? If so, what did you do and what products did you use? The panel in my boat is completely utilized and I want to add some more breakers for some cutting edge modern technology, like an anchor light!

      In his latest book, Nigel Calder recommends gel batteries so I will go with the pro and get two gels when I replace my batteries this Spring. I also want to install some monitoring devices for batteries, a reverse polarity indicator, etc. Any recommendations?

      Ed
    • Lee Hunt
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
        i didn't install them my B29 has two fuse switch panels on the companion way
        wall just above the engine cover to the left and they are all full now.

        my cutting edge tech I have is GPS and Fish finder depth sounder

        ttfn lee
        If you're interested in more streams of income:
        I have a couple of part time opportunities for you to explore. No
        commitments!!

        to offer.
        Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN´┐Ż Premium right now and get the
        first two months FREE*.
      • AC Hawkins
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
          Good Afternoon Ed.
          I am in the middle of a B29 salvage and restore project. The previous
          power panel was made of several fuse holders (the twist-lock cap style)
          on a metal plate just to the starboard side the entry to the cabin.
          Because I wanted was planning to add several more items to the system
          and saw they would not fit on the fuse plate, I started looking at
          redesigning the entire power panel. The process evolved (as most
          boating projects do) to the point that I am now planning to install a
          120 / 12 volt power panel in the aft end of the cabinet on the port
          side, over the icebox.

          I am installing Blue Sea Systems power panels with approx 5 circuits for
          120 volt loads and 12 circuits for 12 volt loads (including running
          lights). The 120 shore power is routed through an isolation transformer
          to reduce to risk of electrolysis due to stray currents. Some of the 120
          volt items (TV, DVD, Microwave, watt-saver fluorescent cabin lights)
          will be powered by an inverter when away from shore.

          I suggest using the Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries for house and
          starting batteries because they combine the best of the Gel and standard
          lead-acid battery designs. The can easily produce starting amps for the
          engine, have very low / no gas output when charging and are able to do
          deep cycle duty. Since all of the batteries will be the same size and
          type, all re-charging will follow the same process - I like to keep it
          simple.

          I will throw the switch on my new system sometime in November if all
          goes as planned. Pray for me and send any spare fire extinguishers you
          have to my marina :>

          Have a great day.

          May God richly bless you...
          Al & Lorna Hawkins
          S.V. Redeemed
          Homestead, Florida

          Have any B29 owners upgraded their electrical system, e.g. batteries,
          electric panel, etc.? If so, what did you do and what products did you
          use? The panel in my boat is completely utilized and I want to add some
          more breakers for some cutting edge modern technology, like an anchor
          light!

          In his latest book, Nigel Calder recommends gel batteries so I will go
          with the pro and get two gels when I replace my batteries this Spring.
          I also want to install some monitoring devices for batteries, a reverse
          polarity indicator, etc. Any recommendations?

          Ed

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129guig75/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
          D=groups/S=1705150872:HM/EXP=1096751480/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
          p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

          s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=729470890>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links