Self Furling for B29

  • IanFG
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      I'm a new B29 owner and therefore new to this group and I apologise
      if this is old stuff, but what are people's experience with
      retrofitting self furling on one or both of the foresails?
    • ELR
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
        I put a Furlex unit on my headstay w/a 150 Genoa. The Furlex always worked flawlessly. I put a release lever at the bottom of the baby stay in order to be able to release it and tie it back at the mast so that I could come about easily, without the genny getting hung up on the baby stay. If you're considering a new head sail, consider a 135. I'm not sure I was getting full use out of the 150. Also, I'd recommend a genny w/the foot raised off the deck and a high cut clew -- you'll be able to see under the sail more easily when you're heeled. Finally, if you're considering a mast mounted radar dome, consider the possible interference between the dome and any head or stay sail as the sail(s) could chaffe on the dome under certain circumstances. I never put a roller furler on the stay sail.